Ping questions

Can someone explain to me what this ping test even means? Like what is it even pinging? The last week or so this ping test starts at 25/26 instead of 18/19 and a lot of times it will be fluctuating like in the picture with high jitter, at the same time some games/servers like the Georgia server on destiny will ping higher but then later on in the night goes back down to the normal 18/19 ms. I would feel like there is some type of issue but my isp tries to say we have to use their router to see any type of data which I know is dumb and they have me run speedtest.net which pings 2ms to their server and say there is no issues so what exactly is the ping test in the router even testing ?

FDAAFCFF-8E5F-428D-978B-06297B7B2E4E.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Administrators
15 hours ago, x12Tyler said:

Can someone explain to me what this ping test even means? Like what is it even pinging? The last week or so this ping test starts at 25/26 instead of 18/19 and a lot of times it will be fluctuating like in the picture with high jitter, at the same time some games/servers like the Georgia server on destiny will ping higher but then later on in the night goes back down to the normal 18/19 ms. I would feel like there is some type of issue but my isp tries to say we have to use their router to see any type of data which I know is dumb and they have me run speedtest.net which pings 2ms to their server and say there is no issues so what exactly is the ping test in the router even testing ?

It pings the Google servers, it's a baseline test of your connection so it sounds like from what you've said that your baseline ping is rising during certain times of the day so most likely congestion on their side causing it which isn't something you can resolve unfortunately.

15 hours ago, x12Tyler said:

FDAAFCFF-8E5F-428D-978B-06297B7B2E4E.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Like Fraser was saying its congestion and peak times your connection will fluctuate. Your connection looks good for the most part. Your jitter is awesome at .11. Mine is like a 2 sometimes a 1. You could try messing with the download slider in qos and run the tests again and see if that makes a difference. But more than likely you are in area that has the same internet company and they are using it at the same time which causes these issues. Good luck!