Connecting Netduma R2 to Main Router with same dhcp

bilinmiyor

Hello, I just got my Netduma R2.

My setup:

Modem --- Main Router(192.168.3.x subnet) ---- Other Devices, APs

---- Netduma R2 --- Only my gaming PC

I want my gaming PC stay in main router subnet and netduma control only my PC.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance

27 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't think you'll be able to achieve this to be honest, what is the reason for wanting it on the same subnet? Perhaps if we know your usecase we can provide a suitable workaround.

I have 2 ISPs connected to main router. Some devices use ISP1 and some use ISP2. Running fully configured QoS, bandwidth control, load balancing between ISPs etc.

Also running pihole dns server with conditional forwarding over subnet.

But most important thing is my ISP provides /64 prefix ipv6. So it supports only 1 subnet. 

What do you mean by two ISPs? Do you have two separate providers that you pay for seperately? Or are you referring to your two routers (Main router and R2) as ISPs?

The optimal solution would be to have the R2 at the top of the network so all devices go through the R2 at some point. That would allow you to control everything on the network with QoS use Geo-filter too. The R2 also has a built in domain-based adblocker, so you may not need the PiHole then either.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

What do you mean by two ISPs? Do you have two separate providers that you pay for seperately? Or are you referring to your two routers (Main router and R2) as ISPs?

The optimal solution would be to have the R2 at the top of the network so all devices go through the R2 at some point. That would allow you to control everything on the network with QoS use Geo-filter too. The R2 also has a built in domain-based adblocker, so you may not need the PiHole then either.

yes 2 different internet service providers both connected to main router's different wan ports. 

24 minutes ago, bilinmiyor said:

yes 2 different internet service providers both connected to main router's different wan ports. 

I see, unfortunately there won't be a way that the PC can have an IP from the main router, but still be controlled by DumaOS.

What problem is this causing you specifically? The R2 will still have an IP from the Main routers subnet, so your PC should still have access to any other resources on the main router's network.

48 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

I see, unfortunately there won't be a way that the PC can have an IP from the main router, but still be controlled by DumaOS.

What problem is this causing you specifically? The R2 will still have an IP from the Main routers subnet, so your PC should still have access to any other resources on the main router's network.

Yes definitely, but main router cannot delegate ipv6 prefix because of /64 which supports only 1 subnet. Is there any option like dhcp relay for LAN devices?

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

So what problem is this causing specifically? The R2 doesn't have an IPv6 address? The PC connected to the R2 doesn't? There isn't a DHCP relay option on the R2 just yet I'm afraid.

for ex: main router subnet 192.168.3.x and netduma subnet 192.168.4.x

main router get /64 prefix (3.x) itself and assign an ipv6 to netduma, however netduma cannot get a prefix ipv6. In this situation, netduma cannot assign ipv6 to its subnet (4.x) as well as PC.

I need /56 prefix or something for more subnet prefixes but my ISP provides only /64

On 12/3/2022 at 5:41 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Not sure there is much we can do there then, I can pass it onto the dev and see if maybe they can alter your router from the backend

I disabled ipv6 until an ipv6 relay feature. However, I got double NAT despite DMZ on my main router.