CoD MW2 Latency Assistance: XR500

anile8v2

Hi all,

I could use some help with lowering my ping in game. I seem to be getting down to about 70 m/s at the very best, and I'm curious to see if my settings are not optimized or if I'm just SOL.

Here are the settings I have changed:

• Located in Jacksonville, FL. Set my Geo Filter to the Atlanta, GA server only. I have experimented with the Miami server but haven't had any success in lowering ping.
  • Auto Detected my Upload and Download Speeds, they are 31 Mbps and 301 Mbps respectively. Congestion Control set to 70% for each, experimented with less to no avail, as well as a throttle to 2 Mbps up/down.
  • Ping Assist disabled.
  • Xbox Series X is in a DMZ, no port forwarding, NAT filtering set to Open.
  • IPv6 enabled
  • Set the Bandwidth Allocation to 60%+ for Up/Down
  • Traffic Prioritization: added my Xbox as a device, see below:image.thumb.png.4be802050b0e1d17cc736d5d618f883b.png

I had a few observations as well in my time trying to figure this out:

• Ping Under Load always seems to spike when I use the Connection Benchmark feature. It can go upwards of 100 m/s in the Upload test. See below for the BEST test I ran.

image.thumb.png.0e93bb472ff094408a5fdca9444b40e1.png

• Not sure how helpful this is, but playing with some friends located throughout Florida a couple nights back yielded a completely different gaming experience. No first shot-first to die, smooth gameplay etc. I'd say it was an anomaly but this happened for multiple games, then going back on my own was like flipping a switch. 

I really can't put my finger on what's going on, if it means I need to upgrade to the R1 I'm happy to do so, but some insight would be great, maybe some tips to try out.

Thank you so much for your time, I realize you probably get a ton of these inquiries, I'm just a little lost and could use some guidance.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you got Congestion Control set to 'Always' when testing with Connection Benchmark?

Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers in order to get a connection to the internet?

What ping does Geo-filter show you getting to the server and how does this compare to what you're seeing in game?

Thanks for responding so quickly! I have the Congestion Control set to Always, yes. I use a DHCP connection, but not really sure the difference between the 3. 

I'm unable to use the Ping Heatmap for Cod MW2, all the servers show up N/A, but I also noticed that I wasted getting a ping readout when using the Geo Filter feature (if I'm supposed to?):

image.thumb.png.63f79fdb4e00314078a2e0d1781f9768.png

Maybe I'm missing something?

DHCP is fine, you don't need to manually enter and special information in the Network settings to get a connection though right?

It looks like maybe your speeds are set a little low in DumaOS. What speeds do you expect to get from your ISP? You've got it set to 301/31 but it looks like you might be getting more than that.

Interesting, if you disable auto-ping host from the submenu in Geo-filter, then click on the server you're connecting to, can you see the ping then?

Okay good to know, no I have not changed any of those settings beyond enabling IPv6.

I was just using the Auto Detect feature for the Up/Down speeds, I'll try adjusting based on a speed test, is there a service that you recommend I use? I assume I would need to use an Ethernet cable to best match the speed of the wired Xbox...

I haven't been using Auto Ping, but I did manage to get the real time graph to work after turning it on, and also tried when having it off:

image.thumb.png.95a685febeaa442ba3fdf94f0ef99b4f.png

image.thumb.png.3ea42efabfab7569eb5b36b726f3f36f.png

This morning I've been running roughly a 70 m/s ping on the Xbox, no other devices on in the house. It seems I'm getting much lower when reading these.

• Administrators

If the in game ping is much higher then it indicates the server may be under load, in which case forcing a different servers may give better results. 

Your Traffic Prioritization rule is very broad, I would suggest you add it with the Games Console rule instead as it may be negatively affecting you currently.