Geofencing not working

Ninja_Theory

Hi

I am new to Netduma and DUmaOS. I am based in South Africa

I set up geofencing and removed the SA geofence to test that I will be matched on a non-SA server on COD MW2. It failed the test. I am still placed on SA servers.

Is someone able to assist me to get geofencing working properly?

Edit: I am using an R2 router.

image.thumb.png.cc9820ab663a39b146f608f2a160a6ec.png

Edited by Ninja_Theory
Added router model

I see now for the first time, the blocked server icon? I assume this means the geofencing blocked the local servers in my country? This would mean the geofencing is working, but not quite as expected (for me). It's stuck at searching for a game under 39 ping, but when it can't connect to the servers, it's not extending to EU servers as I would have expected.

image.thumb.png.f16011d4b5bd1b4c06e4e912d0cecd33.png

• Administrators

Yes that's right. Try this:

1. Quit the game completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  4. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  5. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  6. Wait 2 minutes
  7. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works better.

Thanks for these steps. I followed them exactly and then tested in game but it still finds only local servers. I did this test 3 times to make 100% sure it was not a random result.

My intention is to use the geofencing to force a connection with EU servers preferably.

The game now connects to the local servers in my country even though I do not have my country geofenced (South Africa). I also tried to re-resync the cloud from the Geo-Filter Map Menu. I'm not sure if I am configuring something wrong on my end or if it is something else I am missing when setting this the geofencing.

3 hours ago, Ninja_Theory said:

Thanks for these steps. I followed them exactly and then tested in game but it still finds only local servers. I did this test 3 times to make 100% sure it was not a random result.

My intention is to use the geofencing to force a connection with EU servers preferably.

The game now connects to the local servers in my country even though I do not have my country geofenced (South Africa). I also tried to re-resync the cloud from the Geo-Filter Map Menu. I'm not sure if I am configuring something wrong on my end or if it is something else I am missing when setting this the geofencing.

Make sure you've always got filtering mode enabled for you device, I notice in your earlier screenshots you had it disable. That's why you were getting connected to SA servers initially.

I would expect you have a really high ping to European servers, so it may be that the game client is reluctant to connect to them as your experience in game will be pretty poor.

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Make sure you've always got filtering mode enabled for you device, I notice in your earlier screenshots you had it disable. That's why you were getting connected to SA servers initially.

I would expect you have a really high ping to European servers, so it may be that the game client is reluctant to connect to them as your experience in game will be pretty poor.

It's working now. I'm impressed with the UI and overall experience - even moreso with the troubleshooting help and support. Thank you.

Is there a way to save profiles or a way to handle these use cases and easily switch between them:

1. Two different geofilters, in my case: a profile including SA and EU and Bahrain; and then a profile without the SA area included.
  2. Two or more different games: I have the filter on for COD but I also play Overwatch and some other games. I see no way to switch between different games easily.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The Games Console service for the Geo-Filter will allow you to filter multiple games, no need to change service.

What does this mean? I don’t quite understand what a games console service for a geofilter is (yet)?

Also, could you explain how I can filter multiple games? I’m sure this is a basic question, being new to DumaOS, I’m still finding my way round a bit.

• Administrators

If you look at the top of the Geo-Filter page where you've add your device, below the device it says Console, this is the service that will be filtering. As you're on a console you don't need to do anything else, this Console service will allow you to filter multiple games. Once you've finished one game just hop on another and you can filter without any further action.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you look at the top of the Geo-Filter page where you've add your device, below the device it says Console, this is the service that will be filtering. As you're on a console you don't need to do anything else, this Console service will allow you to filter multiple games. Once you've finished one game just hop on another and you can filter without any further action.

Thanks. When I added my PS5 it also asked "what game are you playing?". I selected COD. So based on your reply above, when I play Overwatch for example, which is a lot, that game selection doesn't matter?

4 hours ago, Ninja_Theory said:

Thanks. When I added my PS5 it also asked "what game are you playing?". I selected COD. So based on your reply above, when I play Overwatch for example, which is a lot, that game selection doesn't matter?

Instead of doing that, pick 'Choose manually' and it should then work for all games. I'm not sure that Overwatch works too great with Geo-filter at the moment, but give it a test and see anyway!

On 11/11/2022 at 12:43 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Instead of doing that, pick 'Choose manually' and it should then work for all games. I'm not sure that Overwatch works too great with Geo-filter at the moment, but give it a test and see anyway!

Thanks I will be able test today, but why would OW not work properly?

One of the reasons I bought the R2 was to be able to play OW and COD with a friend in South Korea. The idea was to test if the R2 would make it so that we can meet on EU servers (which is close enough to half way between us). It worked perfectly on COD, tested last night. Before DumaOS, we could not play COD together because one of us would be on 500 ping and the other on sub-50 ping. I hope it will work on OW as well. Will test later. 

• Administrators

For all games they will either:

1. Not work at all with the Geo-Filter (rare)
  2. Not work or partially work - requires a cloud update from us to get fully working (common)
  3. Work immediately

I do believe OW works from what I remember, if not let us know and I'm sure we can get it sorted. We just posted an OW2 Lag Fix guide so will work for that, not sure if you're referring to 1 or 2.