XR1000 Port Forwarding settings disappear and getting errors when recreating them

• Administrators

You can try that version but it is just a security update essentially so I wouldn't have thought it would affect that functionality at all.

I've added some steps to a section of the guide, try this, everything else will be the same so follow in order and just do these additional steps and see if that allows you to successfully TFTP:

• Following Guide 1 - 6
  • (7) Turn your router off for 10 seconds.
  • - Hold the reset button
  • (8) Turn your router back on.
  • - Continue to hold the reset button
  • (9) Wait for the Power LED to light orange and start flashing.
  • - Release the reset button
  • (10) When the Power LED is flashing, return to the Command Prompt app and press Enter to execute the tftp command and initiate the firmware upload.
  • Following Guide 11+

Well, there is definitely something in 1.0.0.68 that changed TFTP. I decided to use wireshark to get more information. I could get a TFTP started in 1.0.0.58 and 10.0.0.64 during the second window (I'll explain what I mean by that in a bit) but it never was long enough. Whereas in that same window and afterwards in 10.0.0.68 I would get a ICMP "Destination Unreachable (Port Unreachable)" packet from the router. If anyone wants to see the packet captures I can upload them somewhere.

I'll try to explain the "second window" thing here. So following the steps to get the power light to flash I have these observations:
1. Router has been off more than 10 seconds and reset button is held in.
2. Power on.
3. Light turns white briefly, then solid red, then flashes red. I let go of reset here (it didn't matter if I held it longer, the router acted the same after this point).
4. Right as the power light stops flashing red and goes solid red the ethernet port turns on and return ping has a TTL of 100. This is what I call the first window. This lasts for about 2 seconds and TFTP doesn't seem to be available yet.
5. Ethernet connectivity drops for a couple seconds and when it comes back return ping has a TTL of 64. This is the second window. After a second or so of this connection being established TFTP is open and I can start a put command. However, this window never lasts longer than about a minute and the upload is always cut short.
6. Ethernet connectivity drops once more for the last time and when it comes back the router also turns up WiFi and the power light turns white. I've actually found a third window here and currently have a TFTP upload running, however it's been running for at least 30 minutes at about 8kbps. I'll let this upload run until it finishes or times out or I hear back on here to do something different.

If someone wants to see a wireshark of the third window I can cut it down to just the first few minutes as I've still got it capturing so that I can watch the TFTP upload.

As an aside, it seems that the xr1000 doesn't do anything different for TFTP on pre-boot with reset held, but the light flashing helps a small bit for timing. And being honest, watching the ethernet port connectivity light is more useful than the power light for knowing when the TFTP should be open.

It's kinda crazy where this has gotten to! 😆

• Administrators

Ugh that is frustrating! Unlikely to be able to TFTP it then, it doesn't seem like we're going to be able to get port forwarding working consistently but there are other solutions - what are you needing the port forwarding for exactly?

I host a VPN to home as well as game servers. Should also note that is across multiple computers so using the DMZ wouldn't work unless I consolidate all the services. Which would be kinda hard as some are linux and others are windows.

I will say that "fully booted" xr1000 TFTP upload is still running!

NAT to open is my usual, but my standalone game servers don't use UPnP. I'll give port triggering a try, though isn't triggering available for any computer and app? I might end up fighting auto game servers or other LAN hosted services, right?

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, ij4xs said:

NAT to open is my usual, but my standalone game servers don't use UPnP. I'll give port triggering a try, though isn't triggering available for any computer and app? I might end up fighting auto game servers or other LAN hosted services, right?

You have the capability to pick between:

• Any (the default) allows any computer on the Internet to use this service.
  • Single address restricts the service to a particular computer.

so that should allow you to get it working for the VPN/Game servers and NAT Type Open should take care of anything else.

• 6 months later...

I still need to give port triggering a try, but I've had the router fail on port forwards after updating LAN DHCP settings a few times now.

Does there happen to be a firmware update down the line still for the xr1000 and will the fix for this be in that update?

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, ij4xs said:

I still need to give port triggering a try, but I've had the router fail on port forwards after updating LAN DHCP settings a few times now.

Does there happen to be a firmware update down the line still for the xr1000 and will the fix for this be in that update?

You changed the LAN IP? If so then yes you'd need to redo them as they'd use the old one.

There will be an update yes but I don't know how much NG will be contributing to it to be honest.

Ah, no, not the LAN IP, the subnet stayed the same. I only changed the LAN DHCP range and DHCP on to off.

Well, I might not hold on hope for the xr1000 then. That's unfortunate.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting, shouldn't have affected it at all then I wouldn't have thought. Give the devices static/reserved IPs and it may prevent it happening in future.

My servers are actually static assigned IP addresses. This has been a consistent bug where port forwards will stop functioning after WAN/Internet DNS or LAN settings are changed. It's what I've been logging in this thread for a while now.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Behringer-93 said:
Hello anyway I will have more updates from Netgear why not provide the Beta version of the XR1000

We're waiting on a build from NG

28 minutes ago, ij4xs said:

My servers are actually static assigned IP addresses. This has been a consistent bug where port forwards will stop functioning after WAN/Internet DNS or LAN settings are changed. It's what I've been logging in this thread for a while now.

I don't know that it will be fixed by NG to be honest, there have been a couple of things we've chased them on for a long while

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're waiting on a build from NG

I don't know that it will be fixed by NG to be honest, there have been a couple of things we've chased them on for a long while

Glad I bought my r3 while waiting on xr1000 beta the r3 does pretty good so far gotta experiment with it more if you guys ever do beta testing let me know I'll gladly join the r3 beta testing!