New XR1000 dropping internet over LAN

Hello, 

I just got an XR1000 router and its been nothing but headaches. I had to roll back the firmware to .52 to get geo-filter and ping heatmap to work but now my connection is constantly dropping over LAN. Any ideas? Thank you 

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading? If not that's possibly the cause of the issues you had. 

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Welcome to the forum!

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading? If not that's possibly the cause of the issues you had. 

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

I did do a factory reset. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet driver and the LAN connection seems to be stable for now. Is rolling back the driver to .52 normal? Was really hoping to be on the latest firmware but kept running into the "Geo Filter was not able to access the cloud...." error. 

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Welcome to the forum!

Also, can you explain a little more in depth on how to set the DHCP range? Im not 100% where to click and make those changes. Thank you 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, mfielding said:

I did do a factory reset. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet driver and the LAN connection seems to be stable for now. Is rolling back the driver to .52 normal? Was really hoping to be on the latest firmware but kept running into the "Geo Filter was not able to access the cloud...." error. 

14 minutes ago, mfielding said:

Also, can you explain a little more in depth on how to set the DHCP range? Im not 100% where to click and make those changes. Thank you 

Some people do prefer to stay on a particular firmware version if they feel it is more stable for them, it's not too unusual. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and how do you have it set to give devices on the XR an Open NAT - modem mode, DMZ etc? Sometimes that error can occur when the router can't connect with our cloud server due to the modem/router blocking it in some way. 

So on the interface, go to Settings, then on the page that opens you should see LAN Settings on the left menu, then for ending IP address, change the last number to 49.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Some people do prefer to stay on a particular firmware version if they feel it is more stable for them, it's not too unusual. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and how do you have it set to give devices on the XR an Open NAT - modem mode, DMZ etc? Sometimes that error can occur when the router can't connect with our cloud server due to the modem/router blocking it in some way. 

So on the interface, go to Settings, then on the page that opens you should see LAN Settings on the left menu, then for ending IP address, change the last number to 49.

My modem is the Arris SURFboard S33 and I am not sure how it's set up or if it has that option. The modem is connected into the internet port on the XR.  My plan with my ISP is 1200mbps and I'm getting around 830mbps through the benchmark connections. Is it normal to be below by that much?

Everything seems to be ok for now on the LAN connection. I did notice my phone lose wifi connection a few times over the past 3 hours. Thank you for all the help! 

7 hours ago, mfielding said:

My modem is the Arris SURFboard S33 and I am not sure how it's set up or if it has that option. The modem is connected into the internet port on the XR.  My plan with my ISP is 1200mbps and I'm getting around 830mbps through the benchmark connections. Is it normal to be below by that much?

Everything seems to be ok for now on the LAN connection. I did notice my phone lose wifi connection a few times over the past 3 hours. Thank you for all the help! 

That's pretty good but I'd hope to see it in the 900mbit/s range. The hardware is only gigabit so that's about the max you'd get.

If you run a test through speedtest.net, do you get the same speeds you see in Connection Benchmark?

On 10/19/2022 at 3:25 AM, Netduma Liam said:

That's pretty good but I'd hope to see it in the 900mbit/s range. The hardware is only gigabit so that's about the max you'd get.

If you run a test through speedtest.net, do you get the same speeds you see in Connection Benchmark?

I gave it a couple of days to make sure everything was stable and so far so good. I re-ran the speed test with connection benchmark and speedtest.net. Both test were within 30 mbps of each other. I did notice that with QOS disabled I had more speed compared to enabled. Also, my test with QOS enabled was about 100 MBPS slower than the test above. 

Is it normal for the speed to be slower with QOS enabled? 

QOS Enabled: 737MBPS

QOS Disabled: 913 MBPS