Device Keeps Getting Dropped from WiFi

mjay1990

Hi guys - got an issue on my hand where my iPad randomly gets disconnected from the WiFi network. This appears to typically happen overnight, while I am not physically using the device, and never occurred on my old setup which leads me to believe something with the NetDuma may be causing this? I don't think the issue is with the iPad itself. When I check the iPad settings it still says WiFi is turned on but for some reason it loses connection to my network. 

It does not appear to happen with any other devices either -- my iPhone is always connected as is my laptop. 

Would anyone have any ideas why this would happen? It's not an end of the world issue but just a minor inconvenience.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, mjay1990 said:

Hi guys - got an issue on my hand where my iPad randomly gets disconnected from the WiFi network. This appears to typically happen overnight, while I am not physically using the device, and never occurred on my old setup which leads me to believe something with the NetDuma may be causing this? I don't think the issue is with the iPad itself. When I check the iPad settings it still says WiFi is turned on but for some reason it loses connection to my network. 

It does not appear to happen with any other devices either -- my iPhone is always connected as is my laptop. 

Would anyone have any ideas why this would happen? It's not an end of the world issue but just a minor inconvenience.

Thanks

That's odd . On the iPad, could you please try going to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Click the (i) icon next to the R2 Wi-Fi network and disable Private Addresses from these settings?

After that, see if the issue continues.

After two days it seems to have resolved the problem. When I pick up my iPad first thing in the morning I have not seen a dropped connection.

Out of curiosity, is there a non-technical explanation for why that setting may cause the WiFi to drop? Just wondering why that would work. Also kind of strange that my iPhone has that setting enabled but doesn't appear to have suffered from the same problem. 

• Administrators

We've seen a few issues with that particular setting, basically with that enabled the MAC address of the phone changes frequently and the router detects it as a new device. I would guess that when you pick it up in the morning, it then changes the MAC address immediately but the router thinks the device is still on standby.