R2 hot to touch

David824

I’ve had my aR2 since around the time it was released to us…so what? 2020? The other night I was noticing My game was feeling right …like I was behind and the game wasn’t feeling smooth…so I was checking my connections and ended up picking up my R2 to look at my cables on the back and noticed underneath was extremely hot…I’ve moved my routers before in the past messing with them and moving them and I’ve never felt them close to this being as hot. It was to the point my desk was very hot to the touch…I always air can the dust around all my device on my desk and it’s on my desk well ventilated so I don’t  know what’s up with it being so hot! Any ideas? Is that the life of my R2? She’s the aR2 brick? Have you guys heard of them running that hot?

• Administrators

It can get hot to touch yes, it depends on the surface it is on generally, would you be able to elevate it a little so the vents have plenty of space beneath them? Wood does keep heat well so it may not be helping to have it too close to the surface.

Yeah I’m sure I could figure something out to raise but my point is that it’s never been THAT hot for 2 years…why now? As hot as it got there’s no way something isn’t or didn’t start to malfunction…which is why I was wonder is that a form of it dying on me?

• Administrators

It's unlikely it's malfunctioning, more likely the heat sink has degraded over time and so it gets hotter and gets hotter quicker, if you can elevate it to allow more airflow so it can sufficiently cool then it shouldn't impact the running of the router