Better/More icons for devices

Hello,

Some suggestions about devices icons;

• Server icon would be nice (I use NAS in the meantime)
  • Repeater icon is missing or it is the smart home device ? (I would have prefer a repeater one)
  • Router, Switch or Network device would be nice
  • The phone icon is confusing to me (look like a tablet... I used the VOIP phone instead)
  • I would have liked an icon for "named" or "unknown" device

Upon this, an option to change the color of the device circle would be nice (6 to 8 colours should be enough)

.duma-icon-tree-0 .icontree-node.active > circle {
fill: #DA1821;
}

Thanks for your feedback!

We've actually been doing a lot of research and work into more accurate detection of device types. Doing this will also then enable us to give them all their own icons as you mention. I'm not sure exactly when we're going to be introducing that as there's still quite a few variables involved.

Perhaps we can just make icons user changeable though, that's a nice idea. I'll add it to the roadmap!

On 9/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, Netduma Liam said:

We've actually been doing a lot of research and work into more accurate detection of device types. Doing this will also then enable us to give them all their own icons as you mention. I'm not sure exactly when we're going to be introducing that as there's still quite a few variables involved.

I'm sure you did, but you are working on global and different cultures, countries... languages.
Plus it need to be easy for human brain to read it instantly (that's the purpose).

The mobile phone is a good example, it is so close of so many things (handheld screen, tablet, etc) + you have already similar icons and at that size...

... I reviewed again and I think that an option to have user icons will be great, BUT being able to assign the icon background colour (the circle) will greatly improve the visual interface.
If I know that my mobile phones icon are green and my tablets are yellow, then the icon is less important.
Hope you see what I mean.

• 2 months later...

Better yet, the ability to add custom types / icons. This should be relatively simple as that's almost out-of-box functionality for most web applications these days (in terms of a form to add a name/description, upload an image, and assign to an entity).

If you really wanna knock it out of the park, add an API and ability to write your own Rapps. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a developer so always full of ideas. 

14 hours ago, this ol hack said:

Better yet, the ability to add custom types / icons. This should be relatively simple as that's almost out-of-box functionality for most web applications these days (in terms of a form to add a name/description, upload an image, and assign to an entity).

If you really wanna knock it out of the park, add an API and ability to write your own Rapps. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a developer so always full of ideas. 

Thanks for feeding back! I'll get this added to the roadmap!