New NetDuma User... Speed Questions

mjay1990

Hello,

I will preface this question with the fact that I am new to the whole Net Duma ecosystem, as well as certain networking terminology. Apologies in advance for any stupid questions. Additionally, a background on my setup:

I have 1 Gbit up/down fiber connection from an ISP that uses this router (Zhone ZNID). It separates the Wi-Fi and Fiber connection. I have an ethernet cable plugged into the back of the Zhone connected to the internet port on the back of the Duma.

I have the Wi-Fi set up, with two networks. One for 2.4 Ghz and another for 5 ghz. 

My question is surrounding speeds... when I plug my computer directly into the back of the Zhone router from my ISP, I get 800-900 download/upload speed (to be expected). When I connect to the Net Duma via Wi-Fi, I only get about 100 mbs down/up, which seems far too low even adjusting for the fact that wireless speeds are less than wired. Additionally, when I connect to the Duma via ethernet, I still only get about 100 mbs down/up.

Long story short, I do not get my true internet speeds on the Net Duma but I do get it when pugged into my ISPs router directly. Clearly it does not appear to be an issue on their end, so I assume I have the Net Duma configured wrong.

I tried looking into some options but I might be a bit over my head in terms of terminology. I was reading about double NATs, DMZ, etc. But is there someone that can help me with some options to maximize the speeds I should be getting?

Oh, and to clarify, I tried a speed test with QoS on and off and it does not seem to solve the problem. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for posting so much detail with your issue, that's really helpful.

Could you please go to Device Manager in the R2 interface, then from the three-line menu in the top left of the device map, switch to table view.

Here, please send us a screenshot of the top table, named Port table.

That should hopefully give us some more information.

Hi Liam -

A quick update as I tried playing around with some settings after I posted this, and seemed to improve the situation. It appears that, for whatever reason, the splitting of the Wi-Fi bands to a separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network was causing the issue.

To sum up what I did...

1) I did a hard factory reset, went through the setup steps the same way, left the "mirror settings on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi" enabled, did a speed test and the results were closer to what I would expect... 800-900 MB/s on the wired connection (to the Duma) and 200 MB/s on Wi-Fi. 

2) When I unchecked the "mirror settings" option and created an individual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network and ran a speed test, I was getting roughly 100 MB/s on the wired test, and 100 MB/s on Wi-Fi (tested both the 2.4 GHz network and the 5 GHz network... same speed).

3) When I did another factory reset and went back to how it was in Step #1 above, the speeds returned to 800-900 MB/s wired and 200 MB/s Wi-Fi.

I have not played with the QoS settings yet, and they were left default enabled with congestion control set to "never" with 100% upload/download thresholds.

Does any of this make sense to you? 200 MB/s on Wi-Fi is significantly faster than what I was getting before when I originally posted this thread, but I would still expect something in the 300-400 range. Is that unreasonable?

Here is the screenshot of what you asked, as it stands now after a factory reset and the "mirror settings" enabled getting the speeds quoted in #3 above. 

image.thumb.png.32e1b82a0b1733f8ff10b9f841116108.png

• Administrators

Thanks for the screenshot, everything looks okay there, very odd that disabling mirror mode would reduce the speeds on ethernet, we'll have to look into that but well done on figuring that out.

200 is what I would expect most people to be able to achieve, it may be possible to get more, try these suggestions and see if that boosts it:

• Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  • Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

To be fair I have no idea what I was getting before on Wi-Fi prior to getting the Net Duma (I also switched ISPs in the process) -- I could've very well been getting similar speeds, I just assumed it could be possible to get more. At 200 mb/s I certainly don't feel any stuttering or that I am losing any quality when streaming a movie or something.

I will try those suggestions to see if I can boost it a bit more, but perhaps I should just accept it at this point haha. 

Thanks for all the help!