Modem seeing through router and connecting to random devices downstream rather than to the router

Hello,

I have an XR1000 and I'm having an issue where after a power cycle the modem is bypassing the router and connecting to random devices downstream both wired and wireless rather than connecting to the router.  When this happens the WAN IP address on the dashboard appears as all zeros rather than my actual IP address.  For example I just just got done with my ISP's tech support and they had me power cycle the router several times.  The first time it connected to my stereo receiver for my surround sound system (wired).  I unplugged that.   The next time it connected to my NVIDIA Shield TV box over WIFI.  The next time it picked up my Google Home Mini (WIFI).  The next time it picked up my Google Nest Hub (WIFI).  Next I disconnected all wired devices and turned WIFI off so there was nothing connected.  This allowed the modem to connect to the router.  The only other way I can get it to connect it to call my ISP and have them send a reset signal from their main office.  The issue with this is that there's an hour wait to get a rep.  I believe it's a modem issue but I was wondering if you guys knew of any settings that I can change that would prevent the modem from seeing through the router and connecting directly to one of the other devices on my network?

• Administrators

Sometimes modems/routers can be funny about the way they are booted, best thing to do is reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the XR from the interface, wait 2 minutes then access and see if it is working as expected.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sometimes modems/routers can be funny about the way they are booted, best thing to do is reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the XR from the interface, wait 2 minutes then access and see if it is working as expected.

I've tried that.  I've also tried leaving the router unplugged until the modem is fully booted and then plugging it in and it still happens.  The only two methods I find that work are the ones above.  This has been going on for a long time and I'll not sure what else to try...

• Administrators

Ah, you don't have access to the interface then? They should be able to do that pretty easily for you. While they are at it I would recommend you get that IP put in the modem DMZ as well so you can ensure you get an Open NAT.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm sorry to revisit this but I'm still having this issue.  They never got back to me from a few months ago and i just kind of let it go because I haven't had to deal with rebooting the modem until today when my power went out.  I called them tom complain about it some more and asked again if they can do what you mentioned above and they are saying that they have no way of provisioning the modem to only look for my router.  They are blaming it on the router (of course it's the easy thing to do).  So, just for the sake of trying do you have any idea what settings, if any, in the router might allow this to happen?  I mostly just did the basic setup so I can't imagine I changed anything that would cause this.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, steelcity403 said:

Hello,

I'm sorry to revisit this but I'm still having this issue.  They never got back to me from a few months ago and i just kind of let it go because I haven't had to deal with rebooting the modem until today when my power went out.  I called them tom complain about it some more and asked again if they can do what you mentioned above and they are saying that they have no way of provisioning the modem to only look for my router.  They are blaming it on the router (of course it's the easy thing to do).  So, just for the sake of trying do you have any idea what settings, if any, in the router might allow this to happen?  I mostly just did the basic setup so I can't imagine I changed anything that would cause this.

Thanks!

Is the ISP modem a router/modem combo (does it broadcast it's own Wi-Fi network?) or is it a pure modem (No Wi-Fi)?

If it's a combo, what's it's LAN IP? For example, it could be something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1?

You could try setting a static IP in the XR1000 settings under Settings -> Setup -> Internet Setup, perhaps that may help with the issue.

It's just a modem.  My ISP is saying that the router is sending the wrong information to the modem.  Basically they are saying the router isn't saying "hey I'm a router" to the modem and it's sending random MAC addresses to the modem to connect to and their refresh signal from their office forces the router to say "hey I'm a router" and the modem connects to it.  It sounds like a giant load of BS to me.  They are saying that they can't provision the modem with the MAC address for the router so it can't connect to anything else.  It's extremely frustrating.  To be clear I do not believe it's an issue with the router but they are taking the easy way out and blaming the equipment they aren't responsible for.  I'm just asking in the off chance that thereis something I can change in the router to fix it.

• Administrators

Yeah I don't really buy that, the modem isn't connecting to the router, the router connects through the modem, if you set a static WAN on the XR then in theory that should prevent it happening. Otherwise try setting the XR MAC address to the modem MAC address.