Connection dropping every 15-30 mins

PrecisionTV

Hi there, I have been chatting to one of the Netduma team on Twitter and they've been helping me try to sort my issue.

As the title says, I have connection drops every 15-30 minutes and have done ever since I got my Netduma R2 router. I have since had Virgin Media to my home to check if it was coming from their end. They have installed fresh cables, installed a new router etc - but every time I use this router, all I get is issues with connection drops. I probably need some help in how to get this router properly set up, more than anything. All of my devices are hard wired except my phone and some firesticks. 

I was told by the person on Twitter to change my least to 168 hours, and also give each of my devices dynamic addresses (Make sure you give them IPs from 77.2 to 77.50. was their exact words) and I have since applied these settings. (Image provided). I'm still getting a very unstable connection.

I'm using my VM Hub 3 'port 1' (in modem mode) -> NR2 'blue port' via the ethernet cable provided and running a PC and PS5 via ethernet cable from ports 1 & 2 on the NR2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't have the skill of Bill Gates just to enjoy a bit of online gaming lol - have a nice day! 

q9Y03u-C.jpg

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Has the time between disconnects improved after implementing these settings? What firmware version are you currently on? Do you still have access to the interface when the connection drops? I have VM and I find the modem mode to be a bit hit or miss so I would recommend putting that in router mode, then giving the R2 a static IP on the VM hub and putting it in the VM DMZ.

Thank you!

Connection time has gotten worse, if anything. I'm currently receiving 7mb of my 500mb package I pay for, using this product. I'm on the most recent firmware R2 3.2.453. I have tried doing this after a factory reset also - wielding the exact same results. I still have access to the interface when the connection drops, although if I click on a menu within the interface, I need to wait until it connects again before I have access to the section I click on.

In regards to putting static IP etc, I would likely need help doing all that mumbo jumbo if I'm honest. All I want is to use this equipment and enjoy it for what it is.

• Administrators

When the disconnect happens can you click the :menu icon on the log panel on the System Information page, download the logs and upload the file here please?

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please?

It's very simple to do on the V Hub and this will get you sorted:

1. Access the V Hub interface
  2. Go to Advanced Settings > DHCP
  3. In the Attached Devices list find the R2 and click on it
  4. Scroll down and under Add reserved rule information for the R2 will have been input then click add rule
  5. It will then apply and will tell you your settings have been updated
  6. Look at the Attached Devices list on the page again, find the R2 and make a note of the IP address it has
  7. Go to Advanced Settings > Security > DMZ, enable it and enter the IP, then apply

Log file attached.

Screenshot of QoS attached. I get even lower speeds when it's enabled so I would rather do without - unless this changes a whole lot.

I have also followed all those settings and after I clicked on 'add rule' at step 4 - it applied after it updated and now the R2 has completely disappeared.

Screenshot_1.png

log-1661269687620.txt

• Administrators

Could you provide the full page screenshot uncropped please? Can you also provide a screenshot of the Device Manager in the table view (uncropped) please?

What do you mean the R2 has disappeared? It may just appear in the reserved rule table instead of attached devices now

• Administrators

It won't show the name in the reserved rule section but it will show the MAC address of the device. Copy the WAN IP on the System Information page of the R2 and then put it in the DMZ on the V Hub. 

You haven't set your expected speeds so please do that in the menu for Congestion Control and set bandwidth speeds.

On the Device Manager Network Map panel, click the :menu icon and change to table view then take a screenshot please.

• Administrators

Okay great, please now see if the disconnects stop at all. In the mean time, on the R2, on the Settings page > WAN, disable the protection options then please do speedtest.net from a wired PC and provide a screenshot of the result.

17 hours ago, PrecisionTV said:

Hey guys, how easy is it to request a refund? I'd much rather do that now as this product clearly isn't for me.

Thank you for trying to help - but this is a headache.

Thanks for the logs, we'll take a look.

You can send an email over to [email protected] with your original order number, we can look into that possibility there for you.