Security Concerns

Hi,

I was wondering if I could please get some advice. I have an XR1000 with 2 Wi-Fi cameras connected to it. 

I have a neighbour who has vandalised my property and has already been charged once from being caught on camera. 

I’ve been having an issue where the Wi-Fi will randomly drop out for the cameras, and then I can see my neighbour has walked outside passing my car (they were charged with using a box cutter on the car once before). In the logs, I can see it’s specifically the MAC address for the camera which gets assigned a new IP when it comes back. It’s happened enough times now where it doesn’t seem like it can be a coincidence. The only times it drops out is when they leave their house. I’m not sure how this is happening and I’m really concerned about it and was looking to get some help with it. 

Any help would be much appreciated. They’ve already caused thousands of pounds worth of damage and the only thing I have to protect against it from happening are my cameras.

Cheers

• Administrators

I wouldn't have thought they would have any sort of access to the router itself but what I would recommend is the following:

1. (Optional) A factory reset to start with, if somehow they have managed to gain access this would completely kick them out and they would have no direct link and no way to know the original WiFi password to reconnect.
  2. Change the interface password to something more complex
  3. Change the WiFi name/password and also enable the option to not broadcast it, now it's a bit more annoying as on each of your devices you'll have to specifically enter the WiFi details but your neighbour would not see it at all on his side and would not be able to join it and guess the password as they simply wouldn't see it - if they were smart enough to know you've hidden the broadcast they would have to guess the name/password and security protocol which is unlikely. 
  4. (If possible) Connect the cameras via ethernet if they have a port for it, it may require a very long cable to the router but they would literally have to walk up to it and tamper with it
  5. Give the cameras a static/reserved IP in LAN Settings so that it shouldn't drop and will stay online

If other devices are dropping internet at that time as well then it's possible he is using a WiFi jammer (very illegal though) but I can't imagine that would be the case. If in the unlikely event that was happening then the only thing I could think of would be to look at a faraday cage (more like a wall in this scenario) to shield you from the side of your property closest to them. 

@Netduma Fraser Thanks very much for the detailed response, it’s much appreciated!

Would you recommend activating Netgear Armour? Been avoiding it as I’ve heard it increases latency but would consider it if it does add a substantial amount of security to the network 

• Administrators

I'm not too up to speed on that but I do know it detects intrusions so if you really do think that somehow he is gaining unauthorized access or exploiting a vulnerability then it might be a good idea, even if it's just for extra proof you can add to your police reports, I think there may be a trial if you haven't used it already and if so it's definitely worth a try.

What channel do the cameras connect too ie.2.4 or 5Ghz. It’s very easy to drop devices connected to a routers 2.4 that does not have PMF using a very cheap and easy to get hold of device. 5Ghz is a bit more complex but still easy as above.

Netgear has nothing to detect attacks on your wifi, all routers with capability of showing historic connection data will just show that the device has been off-line. 

your only option is a wired security system or at least a system like Arlo where they use PMF between camera and base station to help with security.