Double Nat Xbox Series X

onemorebrew

When checking my xbox network setttings I can get it to say open nat, up until I enter a game lobby. It still says open nat even when i enter the lobby but i noticed i was getting killed rather quickly, then when i tested the nat settings it told me there was a double nat. I've used port forwarding, reserved the routers ip on my isp modem, cached the xbox, cleared persistent storage, cleared alternate mac address and tried various different ports. When i change things it'll say moderate nat, then i'll change it back to open but, nothing seems to keep it open when in game.

28 minutes ago, onemorebrew said:

When checking my xbox network setttings I can get it to say open nat, up until I enter a game lobby. It still says open nat even when i enter the lobby but i noticed i was getting killed rather quickly, then when i tested the nat settings it told me there was a double nat. I've used port forwarding, reserved the routers ip on my isp modem, cached the xbox, cleared persistent storage, cleared alternate mac address and tried various different ports. When i change things it'll say moderate nat, then i'll change it back to open but, nothing seems to keep it open when in game.

Are you using Geo-filter?

If you disable filtering mode in Geo-filter, do you still have NAT problems?

What games are you playing specifically?

I am using Geo-Filter and I disabled filtering mode last week, there was an improvement but no fix. I've just set the xbox ip to dmz on the router as well and restarted the xbox but i'm still getting moderate nat. 90% of the time I play pubg on the xbox and battlefield on pc, i'm sure i'm experiencing connection issues with both.

2 hours ago, onemorebrew said:

I am using Geo-Filter and I disabled filtering mode last week, there was an improvement but no fix. I've just set the xbox ip to dmz on the router as well and restarted the xbox but i'm still getting moderate nat. 90% of the time I play pubg on the xbox and battlefield on pc, i'm sure i'm experiencing connection issues with both.

Don't DMZ the Xbox on the XR, instead put the XR in the DMZ of the ISP modem. Then, remove any port forwarding rules you've set up. That should resolve the issue for you.

Thanks very much for that, it seems to have been a permanent fix for the xbox issue. Much Appreciated! The only issue I have now is that (the same as with the xr700) whenever I use a DMZ my pc connection seems worse off and in fps games it feels like i'm seeing people half a secon after theyre seeing me and my gameplay is now suffering. Do you have any suggestions for that or is that just something i'll have to live with?

• Administrators

Just to clarify, the only DMZ you're using and referring to is the XR WAN IP from the System Information page in the modem DMZ? The DMZ passes all traffic straight through to the device and so that shouldn't cause any issues for the PC unless you have then put the Xbox in the DMZ on the XR? In WAN Settings set NAT to Open and see if that improves it.

Yes indeed, I did also have the XR WAN IP reserved on the ISP modem prior to finding out that I needed to input that into the DMZ instead but, I have now deleted that. I also removed all port forwarding/triggering and i'm just using QoS, Geofilter and Traffic Prioritisation. I have tested again this evening with the NAT set to open and still didn't have any luck. I'm not sure what I've done differently to the XR700, with that I used Port Forwarding, Port Triggering and no DMZ.

Apologoies if I'm coming across like I'm complaining, I'm really not and appreciated any/all help given. I just don't like not understanding why things won't work haha 

As a quick comparison, with the 700 i could play a game of battlefield and have 45 kills to 22 deaths roughly and now I'm getting 12 kills to 25 deaths, even when  using the fastest firing weapons possible.

• Administrators

Are you saying you removed the XR from the DMZ on the modem? If so it will not be possible for you to get an Open NAT without it. No no totally understand, didn't think you were complaining at all!

I've kept the XR as the default DMZ server in the WAN setup section but, there is also the option for "address reservation" in the LAN IP setup section of my ISP modem. I had used the address reservation prior to setting up the DMZ to see if that would help but, as it didn't, I removed it along with the port forwarding/triggering stuff.

• Administrators

Do reserve the WAN IP of the XR and then put it in the DMZ - if you don't there is the risk that the IP of the router can change and then the DMZ is no longer active.

If that is definitely correct and NAT set to Open in WAN Settings isn't helping then it is possible you have a CG-NAT. To double check follow the part at the bottom of this guide and let us know the results: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

It would appear I have a CG-NAT, so I shall have to contact my ISP by the look of it. Very strange that I wasn't experiencing this many problems until the last week or two. Thank you very much for sending that piece of info, was a quick find and the two lines came up even though i had my fingers crossed haha

Also, would you happen to know why my PC comes up in the device manager twice? One comes up on the LAN branch and the other comes up on the offline branch. I can't delete the offline one because it's telling me it's online and if i block it, it blocks both.

10 hours ago, onemorebrew said:

Also, would you happen to know why my PC comes up in the device manager twice? One comes up on the LAN branch and the other comes up on the offline branch. I can't delete the offline one because it's telling me it's online and if i block it, it blocks both.

Have you at any point connected your PC over both Wi-Fi and Wired? That may cause the problem.

1 hour ago, onemorebrew said:

I connected everything to my modem and XR before switching on the XR. 

Sure, but have you ever connected the PC to the XR over Wi-Fi for example? It may have two devices listed for it if it's been connected in the past in two different ways.

Sorry, no I had connected the PC via ethernet cable when i bought the XR before switching on the XR for the first time and have never connected it via Wi-Fi. I'm now having an issue with my xbox saying it can't get a Teredo IP. 

I can't apologise enough for the constant questions/issues, I don't wanna be "that guy" that everyone dreads but I've just had constant issues and I had almost none with the XR700. Games are currently unplayable and it's pretty much all I do with my spare time, so it's getting to me a bit because I just want them to work consistently.

12 hours ago, onemorebrew said:

Sorry, no I had connected the PC via ethernet cable when i bought the XR before switching on the XR for the first time and have never connected it via Wi-Fi. I'm now having an issue with my xbox saying it can't get a Teredo IP. 

I can't apologise enough for the constant questions/issues, I don't wanna be "that guy" that everyone dreads but I've just had constant issues and I had almost none with the XR700. Games are currently unplayable and it's pretty much all I do with my spare time, so it's getting to me a bit because I just want them to work consistently.

OK thanks for letting me know.

No need to apologise at all, we'd also rather you didn't have to deal with these problems.

Do you have any other devices your can access the DumaOS interface from? If so, can you disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC, remove it from Device Manager, then reconnect it again and check that only one device appears now?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, onemorebrew said:

I shall certainly try that when I'm able to. I can't seem to access my router at all at the moment because the router login page won't load. Something loaded earelier but it took me to a dell website.

How did you try to access the interface exactly? Did you click a link from a google search?

I tried the usual routerlogin.net which has always been the method I've used and then i tried typing the router ip and both did nothing for a while. Eventually I just left it with the spinny wheel going round on the tab for about 10 minutes and it loaded a page I've never seen before that gave 3 options. I should have taken a screenshot but I didn't think to at the time

• Administrators

Okay keep an eye on that, it may have been the page you get when trying to connect to it via HTTPS - is that how you're trying to do it? Try these two links specifically:

http://routerlogin.net

http://192.168.1.1

if they don't work try what Liam mentioned before when you're able to and let us know how you get on.

Turns out I had to restart my modem and router because the Nighthawk app wasn't recognising the router either. It would also appear that my gaming pc only appears once on the app but twice on the router itself, so I shall try what Liam suggested now that I can access it again.