(XR500) Premissions trouble!!

LouRobin

Been a few days setting up and awaiting my new router. I wanted one in my office as WIFI on the PC is bad for gaming ect.... But i also wanted to get into making a home server for my ever growing home videos and work docs/projects.
So far i've found followed hundreds of threads and tutorials in how to removed admin premissons from "(root (Unix User\root)" as i can only view my files rather than delete or change them. I've tried every setting in DumaOS. I've used software (WinSCP) in the ftp config. I've formatted the drives, nothing. I've updated fireware, nothing. I've even tried taking over the drive with the cmd command, nothing. In need of assisstance! I'm not really that techy.

The V: (Vault) drive is plugged into an external storage device and is overwritting my permissions. I also use this drive on my home gaming PC and my laptop, as well as my wifes laptop. I want it to be similar to a network drive. I also want to watch videos from the Roku device in the bedroom but there is no audio streaming?
In need off assisstance! How can i overide the premissions to 'Everyone'. Is there an issue with Roku or can the router not format the .MKV files? I can accuatlly see the files/media but cannot edit them.

Equipment;
Ironwolf 8tb NAS drive > Orcio External HDD usb 3.0
Virgin hub 3.0 > Ethernet > XR500 (V2.3.2.134)
Windows 10 PC
Roku 4K Streaming Stick

Settings;
ReadyShare Storage
Network Neighbourhood ON, ftp ON

My unproffesional opinion?
On the V: drive itself, it seems to have created 'System Volume Information, $recycle.bin, .ReadyDLNA and Desktop.ini' by itself.... Is this normal?

Many thanks!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, it doesn't appear you have the drive connected to the router USB port is that correct? If so then your permission issues won't have anything to do with the router. Either way, it may be useful for you to take a look at all the USB options/configurations in regards to the router from the manual here https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500_UM_EN.pdf (Page 140)

Yes i the external HDD connected to USB1 port. I've tried it in both ports as well as a small thumb drive and it's the same. I cannot edit the drive. I've had a read through the manual and followed it, still nothing. The admin permissions are set to the 'root (Unix User\root)' and dont have permission to change it to 'Everyone' or myself.
Am i a dummy or do i have to follow the DNS route?

• Administrators

Can you provide a screenshot of the ReadyShare page on the router please? Being in AP mode is quite possibly why it isn't working as AP mode shuts down most functions of the router. I'd suggest putting the VM in router mode, put the XR back in router mode, copy the WAN IP from the System Information page, put that in the VM DMZ and disable the VM WiFi and you'll be good - that's how I have my VM setup and it works well.

I did test it out before laying down the cables through the house but the Virgin Media Hub 3 in Modem doesn't pass internet throught to the XR500. But will give it another go. Although the main issue is getting permission from the Network Drive.1574232480_Screenshot(23)_LI.thumb.jpg.55bd16bbc63f81614055ceb3053785e4.jpg

• Administrators

It will work in router mode, I find the modem mode to be finicky personally but sometimes modems/routers are picky about the way in which they're booted. So revert to router mode, reboot the hub, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the XR, wait 2 minutes, go through the wizard and you should get internet. Untick password protection on each of the methods you have enabled then see if it works.

Also, the Settings features are done by Netgear so we don't have the same intimate knowledge of said features they have so we'll do our best to help but I would recommend creating a ticket directly with them: http://support.netgear.com/

I put it back into router mode (XR) and still getting the same.
I get 'Read & execute' from the V: drive....
I get 'Full control' from subfiles in V:....
Then i get 'Read & execute' from videos with no audio + .docs that i cant save.
Feel like i'm missing something or going crazy XD. But ill send a ticket now. Thanks for the assist

Screenshot (24).png

Screenshot (25).png

• Administrators

I see what you mean, the full control for individual items is likely being negated by the overall read & execute. What happens when you click on Everyone and click edit? It might be worth looking up some Windows troubleshooting tips on this as the XR settings look right to me.

It allows me to edit permissions but doesn't save them. It seems as though the router is the main Admin of the V: drive and i can only view my own files. I've tried just about everything with trying to gain permissions and change ownership but everytime the router blocks me.
I've gone as far as removing the drive and changing ownership on my pc and plugging it back in but the router changes it.
I'm completely out of ideas as i've been trying to figure this out for well over 6 hours. I guess i'll wait for a reply from customer service. If all else fails then go for a simple NAS

10 hours ago, LouRobin said:

It allows me to edit permissions but doesn't save them. It seems as though the router is the main Admin of the V: drive and i can only view my own files. I've tried just about everything with trying to gain permissions and change ownership but everytime the router blocks me.
I've gone as far as removing the drive and changing ownership on my pc and plugging it back in but the router changes it.
I'm completely out of ideas as i've been trying to figure this out for well over 6 hours. I guess i'll wait for a reply from customer service. If all else fails then go for a simple NAS

Thanks for letting us know. If there's anything else we can assist with please do let us know but as you mention the next best step is to speak with NETGEAR directly.