Slow Wired Speeds

Hi everyone,

I currently have the CM1200 and the XR500. After around a week my speed suddenly throttled down to 200-300 Mbps. I currently have 1 Gig plan. I tried doing the setup wizard again, disable QoS with no luck. I also noticed on Devices that even if my ethernet cable is connected to port 1 on my router, the device screen recognizes it as port 4. If I do it backwards is recognized as port 1. I also spoke with my ISP and the modem was provisioned properly.

Any guidance in how to navigate through this?

Welcome to the forum!

If you run a Connection Benchmark test, what results do you get? Are they still down at 200-300 or are they higher?

How were you testing the speeds previously? Were you using a third-party speed-test such as speedtest.net for example?

Do you know if you require PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers to get connected to the internet?

Hello!

Benchmark results  are 440 down / 35 up but it keeps throttling down. Current speedw right now are 400-300 download. I’m doing wired speedtest on speedtest.net and fast.com. On my XR500 all the settings are default for connectivity no changes made after setup is complete.

What I can mention is that I did a wired connection speedtest only with my CM1200 connected to my laptop and the speeds were 800 download / 35 upload. After I did a factory reset on both devices to connect the modem to the router the speeds started throttling down. Base on this I can tell the router is doing something that is dramatically slowing down my speed.

10 hours ago, M3rge said:

I go to QoS, 3 vertical lines and Disable QoS. I have different ethernet cables that I test but the results are still the same.

Are you using a VPN at all? Whether it's configured on the XR500 or on your machine locally? What are your speeds like over wireless devices?

No VPN. Wireless speeds are 316 down/36 up. I have been noticing that the problem is always with the download and not the upload.

Question: should I proceed and return this product or are there any real fixes that would solve this problem?

I’m on plans on building a streaming PC and I want to make sure everything is running at max, including my ISP bandwith. I purchased this less than a month ago…

32 minutes ago, M3rge said:

No VPN. Wireless speeds are 316 down/36 up. I have been noticing that the problem is always with the download and not the upload.

Question: should I proceed and return this product or are there any real fixes that would solve this problem?

I’m on plans on building a streaming PC and I want to make sure everything is running at max, including my ISP bandwith. I purchased this less than a month ago…

It's quite perplexing so far actually, what firmware version are you using exactly? 

Presumably when you installed your XR500 it auto-updated to the latest firmware? Did you factory reset the XR since it did that? That often can be good for clearing out any low-level issues left over from previous firmwares.

I just updated the firmware to 2.3.2.130 with auto-update turned off and hit the reset button on the back as well. After going throughout the configuration the first initial speed test reads correctly (900 download / 36 upload) but then right after that when I do the benchmark test the speeds go all the way down to 200-300 download, upload is fine, still at 35-36 consistently.

54 minutes ago, M3rge said:

I just updated the firmware to 2.3.2.130 with auto-update turned off and hit the reset button on the back as well. After going throughout the configuration the first initial speed test reads correctly (900 download / 36 upload) but then right after that when I do the benchmark test the speeds go all the way down to 200-300 download, upload is fine, still at 35-36 consistently.

Do you have an old router at all that you can put in between the modem and the XR500? That way we can narrow down the problem a little further, for example you could then put the XR500 into AP mode, this would means most of the DumaOS features are disabled and we can see if that restores speeds.

15 hours ago, M3rge said:

XR500 is connected to the CM1200 only the Laptop is connect for wired speedtest purposes.

The laptop is connected to the modem or the laptop is the only device connected to the XR500?

Did you experience these issues on previous firmwares or did you only notice this after upgrading to the DumaOS 3.0 firmwares?

Laptop is the only device connected to the XR500.

This issue is actually happening on previous firmware versions as well. I just did a full factory reset yesterday with version .130 and same problem replicates.

The initial speedtest from router setup bring the speeds were they need to be but when performing a second benchmark test they throttle down. Speedtest.net also records the throttle down however, fast.com doesn’t an records the correct bandwidth speeds for download and upload.

it may be a possibility that the automated router configuration may be assigning wrong ip address information when it comes to LAN/WAN that may be causing speed reduction?

I’m not an expert but I’m trying to help…

• Administrators

If there was an IP conflict you probably wouldn't have internet rather than slow speeds. Benchmark and the speed tests on the router do need some improvement so they're not necessarily very accurate at the moment. If you do a speedtest.net test and it's lower than you expect can you do a download and let us know at what speed you're downloading at please?