Scariest Reset EVER!

I decided to follow advice, after the latest firmware upgrade, and reset my xr1000.

What a nightmare.

Really the startup needs to be changed. It goes through this ridiculous process of getting you to set passwords and so on, tries to connect to the internet, fails, then freaks out. The problem is that my connection requires a password and this router just isn't ready for that. Several times it totally freaked and I had to reset it again. One one occasion it was so bad I thought I had completely lost the router. The main light went red and all the other leds switched off. This persisted for another two resets and power off/on. It then went through the setup process again, failed again going straight back to the start again, but the final time worked. I might add, the success screen pops up with "failed" since the success page is on the internet and that can't possibly work because it can't complete the internet configuration by itself. Even if you tell it that it can't it still tries. I mean sriously, I am never going to to upgrade the router again.

So you require PPPoE for your connection and that's not accommodated for in the NETGEAR setup, is that what you're saying?

If that's the case, in future just setup the XR with the WAN cable disconnected, skipping the WAN setup, then configure it after the fact from the NETGEAR settings.

What happens is that the router goes through it's setup wizard whether you like it or not. But the default for the wizard seems to be that the internet does not require a username and password and in fact there is no way to set it until the wizard has completed. Unfortunately the wizard often seems to crash if the internet is not functional. In all cases I have elected to set the wan up manually but it doesn't make any difference. As you exit the wizard it seems to freak out if the internet connection has not been established. In the end there was just one time when it didn't freak out that I managed to get inside the router and manually configure ppoe and enter the username and password, but it was seriously scary. I would do it again for the sake of science but honestly I don't think I will ever reset the router ever again. The problem seems to be that the thing has only been tested in one scenario and that scenario is that the internet access does not require a username and password. I mean for a start, as it exits the wizard it actually tries to access the internet whether it is configured or not - it tries to access the Netgear website. Perhaps that's what is causing the issue?

1 hour ago, Harley said:

What happens is that the router goes through it's setup wizard whether you like it or not. But the default for the wizard seems to be that the internet does not require a username and password and in fact there is no way to set it until the wizard has completed. Unfortunately the wizard often seems to crash if the internet is not functional. In all cases I have elected to set the wan up manually but it doesn't make any difference. As you exit the wizard it seems to freak out if the internet connection has not been established. In the end there was just one time when it didn't freak out that I managed to get inside the router and manually configure ppoe and enter the username and password, but it was seriously scary. I would do it again for the sake of science but honestly I don't think I will ever reset the router ever again. The problem seems to be that the thing has only been tested in one scenario and that scenario is that the internet access does not require a username and password. I mean for a start, as it exits the wizard it actually tries to access the internet whether it is configured or not - it tries to access the Netgear website. Perhaps that's what is causing the issue?

OK, thanks for letting us know, we'll see if we can reproduce these issues internally and report them to NETGEAR if that's the case. I know when it finishes the setup it tries to load a page informing you of the DumaOS features, but you can just put 192.168.1.1 in your web browser to get back to the interface.

Thanks again, we'll let you know if we need more info from you.

Yes, I managed to get back to the interface after the internet access attempt ( I think it is trying to display a success message which happens to be on the Netgear website ) , but there were times when the Wizard finished and it just completely crashed. Sometimes the Wizard just looped and started again. The entire process was so worrying I am seriously considering buying an emergency router - just in case.

13 hours ago, Harley said:

Yes, I managed to get back to the interface after the internet access attempt ( I think it is trying to display a success message which happens to be on the Netgear website ) , but there were times when the Wizard finished and it just completely crashed. Sometimes the Wizard just looped and started again. The entire process was so worrying I am seriously considering buying an emergency router - just in case.

Did it ask you to log into your Netgear account when setting up?

6 hours ago, Newfie said:

Did it ask you to log into your Netgear account when setting up?

No.

The Wizard attempts to display a "success page" once it has completed. Problem is that page is located on the Negtear site so of course it fails and your browser comes up with an error message ( it fails because you are still not connected to the internet ). But that failure also seems to effect the Wizard in that sometimes it seems to crash or reset.

5 hours ago, Harley said:

No.

The Wizard attempts to display a "success page" once it has completed. Problem is that page is located on the Negtear site so of course it fails and your browser comes up with an error message ( it fails because you are still not connected to the internet ). But that failure also seems to effect the Wizard in that sometimes it seems to crash or reset.

Thanks.

Did the wizard ask you to log into or create a Netgear account? It’s been a while since I’ve tried my XR500 which use to ask to log into the NG account on setups.