New Firmware for XR1000

I downloaded 64 the other day, and am a bit concerned with it.

I have never had any issues with the firmware before, but this one I had two problems today. When I switched one PC off and switched another on, the router failed to give the PC an IP address and so on. I rebooted the PC several times. Nothing. Then I rebooted the router and the PC and hey presto it worked. About half an hour later, one PC was complaining of no response from the DNS and a second PC again was getting no information from the router at all. Even my telephones ( that go through the router ) went dead. I rebooted the router and everything is fine.

I will continue to leave it with 64 running for the moment and if you have any ideas I can try, please air them now, cus if this doesn't improve I will go back to 58.

No I did not. I guess I will have to, but I am reluctant because there is a lot of configuration in the unit. 😞 I need to make a suggestion here which is not to remap the memory each release! Add new data to the end not the middle. Lol.

11 hours ago, Harley said:

No I did not. I guess I will have to, but I am reluctant because there is a lot of configuration in the unit. 😞 I need to make a suggestion here which is not to remap the memory each release! Add new data to the end not the middle. Lol.

Unfortunately it’s the same with many manufacturers of domestic routers where the NVram holds on to low level code. On each version it’s best to have a saved profile which if you drop back down on firmware versions you can then install. 
routers aimed at the more commercial side or what some call pro consumer routers don’t tend to suffer this issue for obvious reasons due to the complex set ups that take hours to set up. 

sometimes a reset is not needed but if you notice any issues it’s a good starting point but always make sure you have back ups from previous versions and always reset if you drop back down before installing a saved profile.

It's a darn nuisance really. Having to set it up again really puts me off updating it at all. I mean no disrespect to router manufacturers but if my fridge did this I would buy a different one.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Harley said:

It's a darn nuisance really. Having to set it up again really puts me off updating it at all. I mean no disrespect to router manufacturers but if my fridge did this I would buy a different one.

Yeah I get it, you could try a reboot first or reserve IPs but an issue right out of the gate after an update usually means it'll be cleared by a reset.

Your fridge has firmware updates? 😂

Well, the router now is almost as important as food!

I mean if my router dies, not only do I have no internet, I have no phones either. That very thought has forced me to place a bid on a spare router on ebay just in case the nasty happens!!

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Harley said:

Well, the router now is almost as important as food!

I mean if my router dies, not only do I have no internet, I have no phones either. That very thought has forced me to place a bid on a spare router on ebay just in case the nasty happens!!

That's fair enough, it's always handy to have a spare!

I am getting worried about this.

I turned the power off on the router today, then turned it back on ten minutes later, and it had completely deconfigured itself.

Once again I went through the setup process ( dear God please shorten it! ) and it failed. The address it tried to access is this... ( I have deleted my serial number! )

https://www.netgear.com/success/xr1000.aspx?sn

It of course failed because it wasn't connected to the internet.

It then looped round and started the install process again. Really guys, this urgently needs sorting, it is beyond intolerable.

• Administrators

If you haven't rebooted since setting up, settings can be lost after unplugging, rebooting can act as a hard save so next time set everything up, then reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and then it should be saved if you decide to unplug again.

When it gets to that part just click next, you're not required to load that page, then it should get you into the interface, does that happen?

No, it immediately resets and starts the wizard again. SOMETIMES it does work, but it seems mostly not to.

Anyway I will try the saving process and then power it down and see what happens

back in a while - lol

Unfortunately it won't pick up the internet when it de-configures because my internet requires a username and password.

The router did not reset when I power cycled it but I am not completely convinced that I failed to save the configuration! We shall see!!