XR500 QOS "not needed?"

I mainly play Call Of Duty on PC but in a competitive way. Tournaments, wagers and so. Unfortunately, i don't count with fiber in my area. I have Cox Comms Cable and their Gigablast plan 940 down 35 up. With multiple test with ping plotter I find high latency in my upload. which in my little knowledge could affect bullet registration. Then what i did is acquire a *professional service called Sense quality. (sensequality.com) and their internet package($149.99) I'll provide a picture as well of what the package offers plus pictures of what "settings" they did to my XR500. Then i get my internet checked and optimized but for some reason my bullet registration stills off, inconsistent, not the way that i need it to be... in the frustration i can't compete at my best since my internet takes some part of me playing decent. I decided to turn everything off... set sliders to 100% and put congestion control at never. put share excess on. make the bandwidth allocation to even across the devices, remove the traffic prio rule, disable qos completely. And removing traffic controller rule. After all that disabled, i feel i could compete again... which doesn't make any sense. I would like to make it clear that I'm not saying sensequality is a scam or a bad service since I've seen professional COD players say their services is the greatest. But  i just want to know why my internet is so much better without the settings the router offers for a better gaming experience which is the reason i bought. the last picture should show a message of one of the technician i could be my isp having their own. Any comments that could help me understand plus if theres anything that i could to i would appreciate it since I even bought a new XR500 since the other one i have is renewed. a device like this should make things better not worse...Please! Help :(

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

A few quick questions before we get into it:

1. Is this PC the only device being used in your home?
  2. If not, is it the only device being used actually when playing?
  3. Under what circumstances was the PingPlotter test done? E.g. WiFi, ethernet, nothing using the internet, QoS on/off

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

A few quick questions before we get into it:

1. Is this PC the only device being used in your home?
  2. If not, is it the only device being used actually when playing?
  3. Under what circumstances was the PingPlotter test done? E.g. WiFi, ethernet, nothing using the internet, QoS on/off

Hey! awesome thanks for the quick response.

1.  no, i aprox have 6 devices including the pc.
2. technically, around 3 devices. those are two phones and a smart tv

3. it was done from my pc which is wired. cat 8 if matters... nothing using the internet and qos off. 

I would like to add that with qos on and the settings i got done to my router pingplotter ping underload its stable... but the game feels horrible.

• Administrators

Thank you for the information. So a couple of things, gaming really doesn't need that much bandwidth, the maximum it would use would be around 1Mbps and that would be when you're hosting, if you're not hosting it will be a lot less. If you specifically got these speeds for gaming then it is overkill as 99% will go unused when playing. Therefore the QoS settings that have been made to allocate more bandwidth to the PC is unnecessary. 

Also given your high speeds, QoS is less needed as you are unlikely to experience bufferbloat (which happens when the entire connection is being used) so you're sort of applying rules to the connection when it isn't needed, this could be why it's better off vs on. If you do have QoS on the ISP modem/router (if it's not a pure modem) then that could be another reason having QoS on the XR as well wouldn't give a good in game feeling. What is the modem/router the XR is connected to? 

That being said, your upload speed in comparison to download is much lower, so you could try with Congestion Control set to 100% for download, 70% for upload and see if it makes a difference. With the manual Traffic Prioritization setting that has been added, do you ever see the packets update for it when playing? If not that could be another reason you're not noticing an improvement.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the information. So a couple of things, gaming really doesn't need that much bandwidth, the maximum it would use would be around 1Mbps and that would be when you're hosting, if you're not hosting it will be a lot less. If you specifically got these speeds for gaming then it is overkill as 99% will go unused when playing. Therefore the QoS settings that have been made to allocate more bandwidth to the PC is unnecessary. 

Also given your high speeds, QoS is less needed as you are unlikely to experience bufferbloat (which happens when the entire connection is being used) so you're sort of applying rules to the connection when it isn't needed, this could be why it's better off vs on. If you do have QoS on the ISP modem/router (if it's not a pure modem) then that could be another reason having QoS on the XR as well wouldn't give a good in game feeling. What is the modem/router the XR is connected to? 

That being said, your upload speed in comparison to download is much lower, so you could try with Congestion Control set to 100% for download, 70% for upload and see if it makes a difference. With the manual Traffic Prioritization setting that has been added, do you ever see the packets update for it when playing? If not that could be another reason you're not noticing an improvement.

The modem i have is a docsis 3.1 modem the Motorola MB8611
Yes I do get packets prioritized, i just added the rule since i didn't have anything on the router before making this post. but i feel there's no improvement

10 hours ago, CoachPanda said:

The modem i have is a docsis 3.1 modem the Motorola MB8611
Yes I do get packets prioritized, i just added the rule since i didn't have anything on the router before making this post. but i feel there's no improvement

OK, that appears to be a pure modem so that's fine.

How many prioritised packets are you seeing approximately, can you send over a screenshot?

11 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

How many prioritised packets are you seeing approximately, can you send over a screenshot?

At the moment I don’t have anything activated since everything feels better off. I have tried putting different settings even the one Fraser told me, 100-70% but no improvement. But usually I would get more upload packets than download or viceversa.

• Administrators

Put the upload percentage a lot lower, some people feel that heavily throttling this gives them a better experience. Also try making a manual rule for the PC and add it as a Games Console and see if you notice any difference there. 

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Put the upload percentage a lot lower, some people feel that heavily throttling this gives them a better experience. Also try making a manual rule for the PC and add it as a Games Console and see if you notice any difference there. 

What about the bandwidth allocation setting, share excess..: and does traffic controller is any beneficial. 
And I’m the traffic rule apply to wan makes a difference?

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, CoachPanda said:

What about the bandwidth allocation setting, share excess..: and does traffic controller is any beneficial. 
And I’m the traffic rule apply to wan makes a difference?

I'd suggest enabling share excess and resetting Bandwidth Allocation, in regards to Traffic Controller I don't personally think that is needed - you have NAT set to Open so the game should be able to communicate over the necessary ports without the controller rule. 

I would suggest using the WAN option, if your ISP supports priority tags it will be beneficial, if it doesn't then there is no harm having it enabled.

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest enabling share excess and resetting Bandwidth Allocation, in regards to Traffic Controller I don't personally think that is needed - you have NAT set to Open so the game should be able to communicate over the necessary ports without the controller rule. 

I would suggest using the WAN option, if your ISP supports priority tags it will be beneficial, if it doesn't then there is no harm having it enabled.

ok awesome! i will try this later today. ill keep you posted. i just played i few games and still i feel so much better with everything off.. but ill keep trying.

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2022 at 5:58 AM, Netduma Liam said:

What would you advise for a modem that has built in wifi like a router? I have the Arris DG3450 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, CoachPanda said:

ok awesome! i will try this later today. ill keep you posted. i just played i few games and still i feel so much better with everything off.. but ill keep trying.

Did you ever manage to get your stuff setup in a way that seemed like an improvement? Also, did sensequality do any windows settings for your internet that you would like to share? 

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Able said:

What would you advise for a modem that has built in wifi like a router? I have the Arris DG3450 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.

We don't have any specific recommendations, as long as it can handle the speeds you have and has any options you need it will do the job