XR1000 Wifi 2.4 is less than 2 Mbps - Ethernet and 5G fine.

My setup:

Cable ISP speeds I pay for: 1000 down 40 up

Router: XR1000 1.0.0.58_1.0.44
Modem: Arris S33 (owned)

Speedtest.net results:

Ethernet: 943 down 43 up  - Tested Desktop PC (Windows 11) via Speedtest.net and Fast.com

Wifi 5G: (5 ft away from router) 890 down 43 up  - Tested with two iPhone 11s, and a Dell Laptop via Speedtest.net and Fast.com

Wifi 2.4: (5 ft away from router) 1.86 down 0.67 up (average - often totally times out)   - Tested with two iPhone 11s, an old iPhone 4 and a Dell laptop via Speedtest.net and Fast.com

I previously had a R7000 with no issue for 2.4, I reside in a rural area with no other Wifi signals but mine (I did check the app to make sure no interference)

Read other people's post with the same problem and nothing helped, but here is what I have tried...

Turned off QoS - this gave me a slight speed boost in Ethernet and 5G but did not help 2.4 - Turned it back on setting to "Auto-Enable" with sliders (for now) at 100%

Unchecked Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - no change

Changed Channels from Auto to each one (that took a while) no change

Smart Connect is NOT enable - I have two different SSIDs    XXXX5g and XXXX2.4

Enable OFDMA off or on - no change

Strangely, I changed DNS options in the DumaOS' internet settings from "Set Automatically from ISP" to "Use These DNS Servers" and set Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and to my surprise the speed went up SLIGHTLY for about 5 mins I was getting 10 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up but after that time it was back to sub 3 Mbps numbers. Then I switch it back and the same thing happen; slight speed bump for a few mins then back bad.

I hooked up the old R7000 and turned off the XR1000 and 2.4 was working fine so not interference.

I did a full factory reset of the XR1000 twice, first via DumaOS then via the reset pin hole (7 seconds - orange light flashed) and then went through the setup via the Nighthawk iPhone app (also I have the DumaOS app) and after the reset 2.4 Wifi was just as slow.

I have an AP hooked up to one of the ports right before posting this and 2.4 is working fine from it but it is so old and limited to 54 Mbps so I don't want to use this antique AP if I have a brand new XR1000 router.

I seem to see a lot of post with similar problems with no real answer or no answer that worked for me. I hoping if this is a common problem there would be a common answer.

FYI: I love everything else about the router and it is ALL that is advertise but this 2.4 Wifi issue is driving me batty as I have a lot of 2.4 only devices from Google Minis, Smart Home, all sorts of IoT and of course my Apple Watch.

In the words of Arthur King of the Briton's "Any help, would be.... helpful."

Thanks

Smegtrek

• Smegtrek changed the title to XR1000 Wifi 2.4 is less than 2 Mbps - Ethernet and 5G fine.

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please first confirm the mode and transmit power control settings that are configured for the 2.4Ghz network?

Could you also perhaps test if you have the same slow throughput on the guest network? Try enabling that and connect to the 2.4 and run a couple of tests there too.

Thanks for responding quickly

Name (SSID):XXXX2.4
Channel: 9 (tried auto + each one no help)
Mode: Up to 600 Mbps (tried all the others with no change)
Transmit Power Control: 100% (again tried all the power settings with no change)
Security Options WPA2-Personal [AES]

I also have a Guest2.4 network and have the same slowness.

Thanks for getting back to me.

To narrow down where the issue might lie, could you please connect your R7000 back-up again. Quickly verify that speeds are back to normal.

Then, connect the XR1000 to the R7000 and go to it's interface, then Settings -> Setup -> Wireless AP. Enabled wireless AP mode.

Connect a device to the XR1000 2.4Ghz and check to see if throughput is still reduced with the XR1000 in AP mode.

• Administrators

Interesting, a few things to try:

• Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proxity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

Have you just received the XR and it's an issue from the start or was it fine previously and then it started happening?

Not after switching back to router mode my 2.4 is OK for last 20 mins (107 dn - 41 up)

Another Oddity is 192.168.1.1 was switch to 10.0.0.1  which is fine as it also adjusted my Address reservations.

It may be working now but I have no clue why? I will hold my judgment till its been a few hours.

Any Idea what happen? Is there Beta Firmware that could help this?

Thanks

Smeg

Thanks for the reply this help me, Figured what the problem was.

On my network shelf I have my Modem, Askey LTE Gateway and the XR100 in that order.

When I hooked up the R7000 to connect the XR100 as a AP I moved the Askey LTE Gateway (connected to Ethernet for T-Moble since we have a dead LTE zone at my house) away from the router to make room for R7000. When I was done I moved it back next to the XR1000 and that is when my 2.4 started to tank. So in short it was the Askey LTE Gateway too close to the XR1000 that was killing the 2.4 - Odd thing is this never affected the R7000 only the XR1000. I place the Askey LTE Gateway as far from the XR1000 as possible and we seem to be rock solid.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Smegtrek said:

Why did the base nextwork change for 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1 on its own? As and AP it was 192.168.1.2 so it was not that. Just curious?

It does that to prevent a conflict, so likely when you were switching the routers around to check that one of the other routers LAN IP addresses was 192.168.1.1 as well

FYI should have read the Askey LTE Gateway manual :P

Positioning your WiFi gateway
For the best wireless signal transmission between the WiFi gateway and your network devices:
- Place the WiFi gateway in a central area.
- Keep the WiFi gateway away from metal obstructions and away from direct sunlight.
- Keep the WiFi gateway away from 802.11g or 20MHz only WiFi devices, 2.4GHz computer
peripherals,
Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, transformers, heavy-duty motors