Assistance with setting up a static ip

plagwez

Hello, new here.

I am on fiber and just paid to get a static IP address from my internet provider. My router was setup with PPPoe for authentication.

I am trying to set my gaming laptop up with the provided static IP address on the netduma r2 router. This way I can port forward and not worry about my laptops IP address changing.

May I get some assistance, please? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It doesn't quite work that way. The static IP you have paid for is your public IP address, any device you connect to your network will appear to have this IP address from outside your network. Local IP addresses are different, they are what the router give to devices so they can tell them apart and determine where to send traffic etc. So your public IP will never change now. You can give your PC a static local IP address and that will help if you make any port forwarding rules etc, you can do this by going to LAN Settings, then giving it a reservation (you can enter the IP it already has from the router - you can see this on the device manager). Then your port forwarding rules will always be valid as the PC local IP will not change.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It doesn't quite work that way. The static IP you have paid for is your public IP address, any device you connect to your network will appear to have this IP address from outside your network. Local IP addresses are different, they are what the router give to devices so they can tell them apart and determine where to send traffic etc. So your public IP will never change now. You can give your PC a static local IP address and that will help if you make any port forwarding rules etc, you can do this by going to LAN Settings, then giving it a reservation (you can enter the IP it already has from the router - you can see this on the device manager). Then your port forwarding rules will always be valid as the PC local IP will not change.

Thank you for the quick reply and information! Do I set the reservation under lan -> static routes -> add routes? 

name: laptop

target IP address: 192.168.77.22??? (my ipv4 currently assigned)

netmask: 255.255.255.0???

gateway: 192.168.77.1???

metric value: have no idea

thank you and sorry for the inconvenience 

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, farshidheshmati said:

how to set a static WAN IP for netduma R2? mine is changing each time i reboot the rooter and i need to change it in DMZ of my isp router each time. thats why i need static WAN ip for netduma. Thanks

If your R2 gets an IP from your ISP router/modem, you'll need to give the R2 a static IP from your ISP router/modems admin interface.