NetDuma with Xfinity

GButch

I currently have Xfinity and have gigabit internet. The router/modem I have is the xFi gateway. If I were to buy a netduma router, would I need to buy a modem too? What would be my ideal setup through Xfinity? Need help!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

No you wouldn't need to buy a modem as it will work with the gateway. You can either put the gateway in modem/bridge mode or you can put the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ of the gateway and then you're all good on that front!

5 hours ago, GButch said:

I currently have Xfinity and have gigabit internet. The router/modem I have is the xFi gateway. If I were to buy a netduma router, would I need to buy a modem too? What would be my ideal setup through Xfinity? Need help!

the xfinity modem/gateway combo has a puma 6 chipset in it, that causes serious lag spikes and dropouts! heres a link going into further detail here

i have xfinity & pay for that exact speeds.

when i went to my local best buy i purchased the Netgear cm1000 cable modem. (is known to be one of the fastest modems as well as delivering docsis 3.1) ($180-250)

would strongly advise you to look into this as you will have serious latency using the xfinity modem. 

23 hours ago, Ameryjr said:

in my opinion and many articles in google. The Netgear Cm1000 is the best modem combo to have with netduma when using xfinity services

Do you change your MTU on the cm1000, router, or console/pc? https://www.speedguide.net/sg_tools.php has an mtu checker if you can use that and tell me. Thanks. Also do you use ipv6?

• Administrators
On 2/23/2022 at 1:37 AM, Ameryjr said:

the xfinity modem/gateway combo has a puma 6 chipset in it, that causes serious lag spikes and dropouts! heres a link going into further detail here

i have xfinity & pay for that exact speeds.

when i went to my local best buy i purchased the Netgear cm1000 cable modem. (is known to be one of the fastest modems as well as delivering docsis 3.1) ($180-250)

would strongly advise you to look into this as you will have serious latency using the xfinity modem. 

I'm pretty sure that was patched a long time ago, so shouldn't still be causing issues

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, GButch said:

So Fraser are you saying there aren't anymore issues with xfinity's modem and router when using net duma?

The Puma 6 chipset issue causing spikes for any modems/routers that have that chipset were patched I believe - it would happen regardless of the router you used with it