Why is this UI so bad???

This router is giving me a headache. Why do I have 50 different devices on my device manager? Half of which are unnamed? Why is it when I change my phone from 5g to 2g it creates another unnamed device that adds to the collection? Why can I not remove old devices no longer using wifi? Why has the router not updated its firmware in 2 years? Why will it not download the file from the internet like you website says?? So many questions and headaches. This UI is god awful and to be honest rather nauseating after 5 minutes. I went into the QOS to remove bandwidth from devices that dont need it and instantly their bandwidth goes right back up. What is going on????

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

To address your points:

1. "Why do I have 50 different devices on my device manager? Half of which are unnamed?"
    That's a hard question to answer, this will depend on how many devices you actually have and if they ever get connected via ethernet and WiFi. As to why they are unnamed, the router just may not be able to tell what the devices are - if you're using a Switch or an AP this can make it harder as well.
  2. "Why is it when I change my phone from 5g to 2g it creates another unnamed device that adds to the collection?"
    It'll be picking it up as a separate device for some reason, have a look on the Device Manager, do they have different MAC addresses?
  3. "Why can I not remove old devices no longer using wifi?"
    You can remove old devices, click on them on the Device Manager and click delete.
  4. "Why has the router not updated its firmware in 2 years?"
    There was an update about 5 days ago containing security fixes that Auto Update should have updated you to by now, if not you can download manually and update.
  5. "Why will it not download the file from the internet like you website says?"
    Could you clarify what you mean exactly?
  6. "This UI is god awful and to be honest rather nauseating after 5 minutes."
    What is it about the UI you don't like exactly? We've tried to make it quite user friendly and that's not feedback we've had previously.
  7. "I went into the QOS to remove bandwidth from devices that dont need it and instantly their bandwidth goes right back up"
    100% of your bandwidth is shared between devices and so when you give more to a device others will automatically get less and vice versa. It's not a feature I would usually recommend using unless you have a particular usecase as the feature in of itself would not eliminate lag - it just allocates bandwidth.

Thank you for such a quick response. Most of the devices popping up on my device manager are appearing as offline but when I go to delete them it says it can’t because the device is online. So I ended up blocking all of them and now have 20 something blocked devices that I can’t get to go away. I’m not sure if it auto updated but last I checked auto update was on so hopefully it did. And as far as the UI goes it was just loading really slow (could be the old laptop) and I’m just not a fan of the bright red background with big boxes all over that take seconds to load and I have to click in the box to scroll down in that box then click outside of the box to scroll down on the actual page itself to access whatever box may be below. Just doesn’t feel as smooth as I think it should that’s all. My biggest concern is most of these unnamed devices which I’ve now blocked are showing up in my qos and taking bandwidth. Most of them only 1% and when I lower them it goes back up automatically. Why are these devices that the router won’t let me delete because it says device is online (even though is shows up as offline) still able to use bandwidth? 

8 hours ago, ODBza said:

Thank you for such a quick response. Most of the devices popping up on my device manager are appearing as offline but when I go to delete them it says it can’t because the device is online. So I ended up blocking all of them and now have 20 something blocked devices that I can’t get to go away. I’m not sure if it auto updated but last I checked auto update was on so hopefully it did. And as far as the UI goes it was just loading really slow (could be the old laptop) and I’m just not a fan of the bright red background with big boxes all over that take seconds to load and I have to click in the box to scroll down in that box then click outside of the box to scroll down on the actual page itself to access whatever box may be below. Just doesn’t feel as smooth as I think it should that’s all. My biggest concern is most of these unnamed devices which I’ve now blocked are showing up in my qos and taking bandwidth. Most of them only 1% and when I lower them it goes back up automatically. Why are these devices that the router won’t let me delete because it says device is online (even though is shows up as offline) still able to use bandwidth? 

OK thanks - so it's the panel design that you're not a fan of. I'll pass this across to the team.

With regards to Device Manager - do you know what these devices are? Are they named and do you recognise them? On wireless devices, check if they use MAC randomisation/Private addressing and if so, disable it from the Wi-Fi settings for your network. This is likely what's causing devices to appear as unnamed. Apple devices for example use this feature.

Yeah the panel design just feels outdated at this point and not as fluid as it should. And as far as the device managers goes I did just check on my phone and saw that it had private address on which could explain all of the unnamed devices. It still will not let me delete them though once they appear offline. When I try it says “cannot delete because device is online”. So if my phone is on the 5G wifi why does it still show up as offline and also use bandwidth while “offline”. I ended up blocking the unnamed devices after asking my roommates to turn on everything they own that uses wifi. I named everything to make it easier. But all of those unnamed devices that are blocked since I couldn’t delete them are still using bandwidth. I went through and lowered the bandwidth usage on all the blocked devices and then when I went back and checked it had went up on its own to where all the devices are using at least 1% of the bandwidth. If these devices are blocked how are they still using signal? And why can I not just delete the devices? Even if 2 devices pop up from one iPhone once I connect to 5G why can I not delete the one that would connect to 2g to clear up bandwidth? Our wifi is struggling and every time I check the dumaos there’s so many devices and it’s frustrating trying to figure out what is what and also not being able to delete devices that it’s telling me are offline. 

• Administrators

Reboot the router from the interface, wait 2 minutes then access and you'll be able to delete the devices. Bandwidth Allocation is just ensuring each device has some bandwidth but as it is offline it won't actually be using 1%, that will be going to any other devices that want to use it.

This is my biggest complaint right here. I’ve only got like 10 devices currently using wifi. So why when I check the qos are there all these different devices that I have to spread the bandwidth out for? If I’m using 2 pcs, 4 phones, and 3 TVs why are all these other devices popping up? And still using bandwidth? Most of the things on my qos aren’t even using wifi and all of those unnamed devices have been blocked but they’re still showing up using bandwidth. I don’t understand. 

D00A880A-2579-40F4-B9EE-52BA6C35ED14.jpeg

Okay so it did let me go in and delete some of those blocked devices that were unnamed. Probably just a result from my roommates switching phones back and forth from 2G to 5G. I rebooted the router last night and I guess I never went and tried to delete those things again. 

That also removed all of them from my qos! It is a little annoying that every time I switch from 5G to 2G it’ll show up as 2 different devices and the same with everyone else I live with or whoever visits. I feel like over time that bloats up that device manager page. Either way your assistance helped and I really appreciate the speedy replies! 

• Administrators

You're very welcome! They won't be using bandwidth necessarily, they're just listed in QoS incase they come back online. Check Network Monitor and they likely won't appear to be using any bandwidth. If you give a singular device a reserved IP in LAN Settings, that may prevent two devices being shown when switching between 2.4/5GHz wifi.

Okay that makes sense and I’ll have to look into giving devices a reserved ip I think I’ve done something similar for my ps4 a while back. Either way I was finally able to delete all of those devices and clear up that page. If two devices show up for one phone that’s fine that’s manageable but I just had like 30 different devices and I had no idea what they were. Thanks again!