Halo Infinite Geo filter

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

What’s the difference between using DumaOS geo filter and editing the host files on PC? They refer to exploits so is this something that could negatively effect the game or impact other players if someone did edit the host files?

I don't know all the in's and out's but it seems like you enter in just an address for the region you want, essentially blocking all others. How this could impact other players I don't know, I suppose that really depends on how their matchmaking system works.

The only scenario in which I could see it making the connection worse for others is for example, player A & player B both located in the UK search for a game at the same time. Player A has used the hosts trick to force UK, Player B hasn't and there is just one UK server instance with one player slot available, the game is forced to choose Player A as they can't connect to anything else, thereby forcing Player B to play on an EU server.

If that was actually happening then I have a few problems with that - there are many many servers located in each region, if they're literally getting full and forcing others onto further away servers then that would indicate to me that they need to provision more servers in that location. 
If a player is getting forced to a different server then the above is still true, each region has many servers - I would barely notice a change between a UK (London) server and a French server as networking speaking they're so close, so if it is noticeable how far away are they actually being placed? That would seem like another issue on how they dictate what server you play on.

This is all just speculation though, I'm just providing potential scenarios based on the information we have so far.

For me that is the confusing part. Some PC players must know how to change the files. Sounds like a back door job is being exploited..  I know one can also use a Static Route and block servers as well in there router. Which is something ive done before and that seems to work as well.. But is that considered as changing the files? I personally wouldnt think so since all im doing is blocking servers. That has really gave me good results..  DumaOS doesnt change the files either. It just blocks servers.. No changing of files..

At the end of the day I guess we will find out soon enough in February.. I just hope if we are doing something wrong they dont come out with some crazy perma ban..  That would be most unpleasant..

Whats interesting though is when I block servers using Static Routes in the router I see different servers on my Geo map. So basically I use the Geo to monitor what servers I get put on to. Im not filtering..

Thanks!

Zippy.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't know all the in's and out's but it seems like you enter in just an address for the region you want, essentially blocking all others. How this could impact other players I don't know, I suppose that really depends on how their matchmaking system works.

The only scenario in which I could see it making the connection worse for others is for example, player A & player B both located in the UK search for a game at the same time. Player A has used the hosts trick to force UK, Player B hasn't and there is just one UK server instance with one player slot available, the game is forced to choose Player A as they can't connect to anything else, thereby forcing Player B to play on an EU server.

If that was actually happening then I have a few problems with that - there are many many servers located in each region, if they're literally getting full and forcing others onto further away servers then that would indicate to me that they need to provision more servers in that location. 
If a player is getting forced to a different server then the above is still true, each region has many servers - I would barely notice a change between a UK (London) server and a French server as networking speaking they're so close, so if it is noticeable how far away are they actually being placed? That would seem like another issue on how they dictate what server you play on.

This is all just speculation though, I'm just providing potential scenarios based on the information we have so far.

Fraser you know what I find interesting.. If I let the game pick a server for me It almost always passes up the first two servers im closest too. And it puts me on the East coast.. Which really makes no sense.. Ive noticed this several times and cant for the life of me understand why that is..  There match making system I feel could be broke or isnt doing something correct to place me accurately.. Which I feel compounds the issue..

Thanks!

Zippy.

44 minutes ago, GBDJG said:

I cant get in to a ranked game tonight under 100ms ping guess its time for GEO

Ha ha im still Geo Filtering.. I need to or my games are a hot mess..lol.. 

Zippy.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Fraser you know what I find interesting.. If I let the game pick a server for me It almost always passes up the first two servers im closest too. And it puts me on the East coast.. Which really makes no sense.. Ive noticed this several times and cant for the life of me understand why that is..  There match making system I feel could be broke or isnt doing something correct to place me accurately.. Which I feel compounds the issue..

Thanks!

Zippy.

I mean that's the question isn't it, why is that happening - is it because they've done that purposefully and so they don't want people getting around it or is it because some how other people forcing closer servers is pushing others further away. I can't imagine that a significant portion of the player base is using methods to force close servers to make that a real problem.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I mean that's the question isn't it, why is that happening - is it because they've done that purposefully and so they don't want people getting around it or is it because some how other people forcing closer servers is pushing others further away. I can't imagine that a significant portion of the player base is using methods to force close servers to make that a real problem.

Exactly. Im with you it doesnt make sense.. I would think most of my matches would be to my closest servers. lowest ping.. And every once in awhile one further out..  But thats not the case at all.. Just the opposite..  Something is very confusing to me.. Im wondering if this whole claim its the Geo is a mistake on 343 part. And thats not the real cause..   I guess will will find out soon enough..

Thanks!

Zippy.

21 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Unyshek doubling down on geo filter being the cause of high ping lobbies for players:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Unyshek/status/1487244375801229315

At least some of the comments are actually questioning his stance this time. 

People should question this.. Not only that but they still have not come out and said what type of Geo Filtering this is.. Is it from PC players changing files? Or does it mean Netgear and Netduma type routers..  And now they think this is a big cause of there desync issues? Lord have mercy! lol. I sure hope there not putting all there hopes on this alone and have done some honest work to figure it out.. I personally think there chasing rabbits down the wrong hole..

Honestly the only cure now is for them to add Selectable Servers. To keep them honest..

My prediction when this big drop does come.. Will be a nightmare for them and us!

Thanks for the post! Looks like Unyshek is the front man to deliver again another update that says nothing..

Im trying to keep positive vibes.. But its getting harder by the day.

Thanks!

Zippy.

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 3:34 PM, K0NSPIRACY said:

What’s the difference between using DumaOS geo filter and editing the host files on PC? They refer to exploits so is this something that could negatively effect the game or impact other players if someone did edit the host files?

The difference is that you're not altering the game code or associated files.

It's completely external when you geo-filter with DumaOS. They're not entitled to tell you what to do with your router.

They would have to create an entirely new category of officially listed exploits and they would have to include hardware like this:

• SCUF Instinct / Instinct Pro
  • PowerA Fusion Pro / Pro 2
  • Thrustmaster eSwap S / X Pro
  • Razer Wolverine V2 / Wolverine V2 Chroma
  • Battle Beaver Customs
  • Xbox Elite / Elite Series 2

Unless Microsoft is going to start including the Elite Series 2 with their consoles or alter the standard controller to include paddles. Which they're not about to do, because that would end sales all together or devalue the Elite Series 2. Paddles are the main selling point.

Not everyone has paddles, trigger stops or extra buttons on their controller. Are those things exploits? No? Then why is geo-filtering seen as an exploit on a game that's literally coded to favor the player with lower ping?

Who ever communicates to the server first wins. If you're playing at 10ms ping and I'm playing at 100ms, you win every fight. Despite the fact that the game is showing me a hit marker and making me believe it should have been a trade. The game literally throws my shot in the garbage and says "this guy communicated first, give it to him".

The game should be coded to act based on the timestamp of the inputs instead. If you (10ms ping) pull your trigger and I (100ms ping) pull my trigger at the time same time, then you should not survive because of ping.

The game should look at the timestamps, if they're identical right down to the second, but you pulled your trigger 7ms sooner than I did, it should be a trade. Unless it's a difference of let's say 12ms+ in the time stamps, the person with lower ping shouldn't survive.

343 messed up and they will do everything but admit it.

This bias on geo-filter is nothing but denial and them catering to their US player base exclusively, that are used to playing 10-20ms. They're creating a disgusting mob mentality instead of fixing their broken game.

Geo-filtering does nothing but balance the game, other than in rare(ish, given the state of the population) cases where I force ANZ or EU players on to my NA East server.

Players who are used to 10ms ping whining that that they have to play on 50ms vs me on 50ms because I'm geo-filtering just isn't a valid argument in my opinion. They'll say it's "unplayable" on 50ms ping yet expect me to play on 100ms ping so that they can have their 10ms ping. They cry that it's "unfair" that the game is forced to play out more fairly. Maybe they're just not that much better at it then the rest of us like they were lead to believe 🤔

Meanwhile in Canada, 50ms is my lowest possible ping because they're not utilizing their Montreal and Toronto servers, which would put me at 35ms and 40ms ping. Not much of an improvement, but anything is an improvement given the fact that the game is coded to essentially make these 10ms players unbeatable.

Did this clear things up at all?

On 1/28/2022 at 7:57 PM, Zippy said:

Thanks!

Zippy.

Trade?

I'm closest to the NA East servers but always get put on West and Central servers ffs.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:24 PM, Zippy said:

People should question this.. Not only that but they still have not come out and said what type of Geo Filtering this is.. Is it from PC players changing files? Or does it mean Netgear and Netduma type routers..  And now they think this is a big cause of there desync issues? Lord have mercy! lol. I sure hope there not putting all there hopes on this alone and have done some honest work to figure it out.. I personally think there chasing rabbits down the wrong hole..

Honestly the only cure now is for them to add Selectable Servers. To keep them honest..

My prediction when this big drop does come.. Will be a nightmare for them and us!

Thanks for the post! Looks like Unyshek is the front man to deliver again another update that says nothing..

Im trying to keep positive vibes.. But its getting harder by the day.

Thanks!

Zippy.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/na-competitive-ruling
TLDR:

Canadian Halo player Royal 2 (Sentinels) was accused of geo-filtering during the NA Kickoff Qualifier 12-1 tournament.

After performing an investigating, they (343) found that he had altered the hosts file in order to block servers.

It resulted in Royal 2 being fined and suspended from HCS until January 28th 2022. The team also lost their
combined HCS 4v4 points that are awarded to each player on the team, as well as their 1st place Pool Play
position for the upcoming HCS Kickoff Major Raleigh 2021 tournament.

The Network Abuse section of the HCS Handbook broadly encompasses geo-filtering (it could be seen as slowing the connection in the sense that it'll cause players to take longer to load, I guess) and the Hacking section broadly encompasses editing the hosts file (it's not technically a game file exclusively placed on your system by installing Halo Infinite, but it's a file that directly affects the game).

https://wpassets.halowaypoint.com/wp-content/2022/05/HCS-2022-Program-Handbook_v1.03.pdf

Public matchmaking isn't HCS though. Geo-filtering isn't against TOS and it's not a bannable offense. Geo-filtering via the hosts file will result in you being told "No ping to our data centers." and that's all there is to it.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/t/halo-infinite-update-on-latency-geofiltering/501149

TLDR:

Geo-filtering is bad.

We're making it harder for people to geo-filter.