XR1000 + Xbox Series X High Latency

Hello - I have a Netgear XR1000 with a Xbox Series X connected to it via cable, and am having issues getting high latency, specifically when I play Warzone. For example, when I connect to server, in the DumaOS interface it shows that I'm on 40ms server. In the actual game, it will show as I'm somewhere in the 80-100ms range. This happens every game, where the latency in game is roughly 2x that of in DumaOS. I understand that in-game latency will be a bit higher than what is shown in DumaOS, but these seem like significant increases.

Is this normal, or are others experiencing this issue as well? Apologies if that has been previously discussed, and thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That sounds like the server is under load if it's that much higher than what the Geo-Filter shows. Therefore you should try to force other servers and they may play better for you - you could try a server that has higher ping on the Geo-Filter as it could have a lower ping in game than what you're currently seeing and therefore should play better.

• Administrators

Where abouts are you located and what is the ping you get if you do speedtest.net?
What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?
Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
What are your current QoS settings?

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Where abouts are you located and what is the ping you get if you do speedtest.net?
What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to?
Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
What are your current QoS settings?

I'm in CT in the US. I get a 14ms ping when I perform the speed test.

I have a motorola MB8611 modem, and all of my devices are connected to the XR.

For QOS, I have it set to Auto-Enable, with 70% for download and upload under Congestion Control. For Bandwidth Allocation, I have Gaming set at 50 for download & upload. For Traffic Prioritization, I have DumaOS Classified Games turned on.

I have also tested things with QoS turned off with no difference in performance. I hope that helps.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You should have some servers basically on top of you, are they the ones you're connecting to regularly? May be beneficial to put Ping Assist to 0 so you can force them

I've generally been connecting to servers in the eastern half of the US, but tried forcing the closest ones today with Ping Assist set to 0. It took a while to find games, but I still into the same issue where the ping shown in DumaOS was about 40ms lower than that shown in the game. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, mtlake8 said:

I've generally been connecting to servers in the eastern half of the US, but tried forcing the closest ones today with Ping Assist set to 0. It took a while to find games, but I still into the same issue where the ping shown in DumaOS was about 40ms lower than that shown in the game. 

Does the ping on the Geo-Filter fluctuate at all or is it quite stable? 

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, mtlake8 said:

Ok yes I assumed it was either the game or the Xbox issue, not a router issue, but wanted to make sure. And yes if the geo filter is disabled, I still run into the same issues. 

Just to double check, I would assume if you go direct to the modem as well it still occurs?

I would try what Fraser mentioned above. Connect directly to the modem and see what results you get. Take the XR1000 out of the picture completely. Then you will know for sure. Theres something not right with what your experiencing. Your ping in game and Geo should match fairly close. 

Also when you do a speed test in the Network settings of the Xbox what do you get for latency?

Thanks!

Zippy.

Ok I will try connecting directly to the modem and see if that changes anything. 

When I do a speed test through the xbox settings, my latency is a lot higher than the speedtest.net one, around 50-60ms. However when I use a speedtest app on the Xbox that I downloaded, it goes back down to around 15ms, which is odd.