XR500 as Access point behind R2, how to find XR ip

slugg

So I am now attempting to run the XR500 as an access point behind the R2 to help with wifi range. I need the ip of the XR to add to DMZ of R2 correct? How do I find the ip of the XR? Thanks!

• Administrators

When the XR is in AP mode you do not need to add it to the DMZ of the R2 as devices connected to the XR in AP mode will get an IP address from the R2 and appear as though they are directly connected so you won't get any NAT issues

from windows cmd try arp -a then you can view a full list of devices connected to your router, the ip address of AP is needed when you want to make changes on it. which will be useful.

26 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When the XR is in AP mode you do not need to add it to the DMZ of the R2 as devices connected to the XR in AP mode will get an IP address from the R2 and appear as though they are directly connected so you won't get any NAT issues

So in theory I should not have to worry about accessing the XR at all for any reason? Have a strict NAT on xbox but am currently rebooting console to see what I get afterward. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, RedBull2k said:

from windows cmd try arp -a then you can view a full list of devices connected to your router, the ip address of AP is needed when you want to make changes on it. which will be useful.

This helped! Thanks!

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, slugg said:

So in theory I should not have to worry about accessing the XR at all for any reason? Have a strict NAT on xbox but am currently rebooting console to see what I get afterward. Thanks!

No not really, other than switching it back to router mode I suspect would be the only reason you'd want to. 

Keep us posted!

Just now, Netduma Fraser said:

No not really, other than switching it back to router mode I suspect would be the only reason you'd want to. 

Keep us posted!

OK thanks Fraser!

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Keep us posted!

Any tips on getting away from strict NAT? Talking xbox for the moment. Multiple reboot of console, R2 AND xr500, no change. XR ip in or out of dmz of R2 same thing.

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to? If it's not a pure modem are you using the DMZ on that - if so double check the WAN IP of the R2 still matches it, it may have changed if you rebooted the R2 and didn't set a static IP for example

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the model of the modem/router the R2 is connected to? If it's not a pure modem are you using the DMZ on that - if so double check the WAN IP of the R2 still matches it, it may have changed if you rebooted the R2 and didn't set a static IP for example

It's a 5g gateway, no dmz available on it. I've always had open NAT running xr behind it but now with this configuration I'm not having any luck.

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Put the Xbox in the DMZ and you should definitely get an open NAT - if you don't then just to check disable the Geo-Filter, does it show open then?

Still no go but it looks like somethings going on with my isps side of things. Hell of a coincidence the timing of that. Anyway trying to troubleshoot that with them now. Thanks.

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, slugg said:

Still no go but it looks like somethings going on with my isps side of things. Hell of a coincidence the timing of that. Anyway trying to troubleshoot that with them now. Thanks.

Okay do let us know how you get on!