Add category(ies) for network devices

More categories of devices, such as Switch (managed switch with its own IP address), Access Point. These could be also just be called "Network Device" together. One of the key things about these devices from a Device Manager POV, is that the IP addresses associated with a switch or access point should only be that device itself. Today, all the downstream device IP addresses are shown under the network device. Makes troubleshooting which device is being "noisy" on the network when the network snapshot shows all the data associated with the "parent" network device, like an AP.

• Administrators

We have been adding more and more and are always looking for suggestions on this so I'll make a request for it, thanks! If you're using a managed switch then it is handling DHCP for devices connected to it so there is no way specifically for the router to see them. If the AP is properly in AP mode then the router should be giving the devices connected to the AP an IP and therefore appear on the Device Manager.

What I see in device manager is my APs have multiple IP addresses associated. Those IP addresses are also shown in the device manager list with the actual device which has that IP address. The network snapshot shows the traffic associated with the AP and not my device. (I assume because the AP is associated with the same IP address.) Maybe this is a bug?

• Administrators

Thanks for that, it usually works fine with a router set to AP mode so it could be because they're dedicated APs, can you try another mode with similar functionality and see if the device manager reads the devices behind it correctly please?

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We have been adding more and more and are always looking for suggestions on this so I'll make a request for it, thanks! If you're using a managed switch then it is handling DHCP for devices connected to it so there is no way specifically for the router to see them. If the AP is properly in AP mode then the router should be giving the devices connected to the AP an IP and therefore appear on the Device Manager.

This is not true actually.

A managed switch passes traffic through like any other switch. It listens to call outs on the network, if the MAC of the device is being called it reports it back to the router. And it forwards broadcast traffic.

The managment interface sits on a separate internal interface connected to the switch chip, like a internal LAN port if you will. So for the router the switch/managment interface actually appears as it’s own device. This is also why on managed switches you have to set the VLAN for managment, it simply assigns the interface for the managment to the VLAN you set it to.

This is why a managed switch interface appears as a separate item in the network map. DumaOS doesn’t know that other items are behind a switch.

Also switches do not perform DHCP services unless you have very expensive Layer 3 switches. (This is essentially a router that doesn’t perform NAT) If you have a model capable of VLAN routing that is layer 3 lite then it often has DHCP relay services but you need a separate DHCP server.

APs might be a different story though. When I set a XR500 as AP behind a XR700 router then I ran into the same issue where the devices do not show.

• 2 months later...

FWIW, I use only unmanaged switches in my home. All should be "transparent" to the router really. Or, it should treat them as such because they are not assigned an IP address. The APs however, are managed and do consume their own IP address. They are not running DHCP however. The only DHCP server is the XR1000. It definitely seems like the Device Manager associates multiple IP addresses to single devices. I realize this isn't a pro network management router, so I'm not going to be able to "complain" too much about this. :) Having more categories for standard home things would be nice.