choosing ping heatmap servers

nferguzl

Is there a way other than drawing areas or radius around home location to connect to game servers? Meaning if we can ping the servers in the ping heatmap, can't we choose those same servers in the geofilter? I ask because I see some servers in the ping heatmap that are missing from the geo-filter when connecting to vanguard. 

• Administrators

You can use Ping Assist with the location in the ocean so it just goes off ping. Ping Heatmap will ping the servers regardless if they're able to be played on or not, if the server is full for example then it may not show on the Geo-Filter. Does it happen during all times of the day? What servers is it specifically you're having trouble with?

I’m trying to connect to the Miami server which gives in my case the best ping. But no matter which method I use ie. ping assist with location in the ocean, or polygon mode, or setting my home on top of the server, it takes sometimes 3-6 minutes to connect to a lobby. Is there a way to speed this up? That’s why i wanted another server option to speed the time it takes to get into these lobbies. 

In the ping heatmap there is a vanguard server (138.199.3.69) which gives me the second best ping but if I draw an area around it, it never gets found. Please advise.

10 hours ago, nferguzl said:

I’m trying to connect to the Miami server which gives in my case the best ping. But no matter which method I use ie. ping assist with location in the ocean, or polygon mode, or setting my home on top of the server, it takes sometimes 3-6 minutes to connect to a lobby. Is there a way to speed this up? That’s why i wanted another server option to speed the time it takes to get into these lobbies. 

In the ping heatmap there is a vanguard server (138.199.3.69) which gives me the second best ping but if I draw an area around it, it never gets found. Please advise.

3-6 minutes isn't too unreasonable of a wait time considering you're limiting your search to just one server. You could as you mention also raise the ping assist value to cover your second best ping server. Perhaps also try enabling 'Fast search' from the three-line menu and see if this speeds up the search times?

If I raise the ping assist or enable fast search my ping goes from 70 all the way to 90 and upwards. Lowest ping servers in the ping heatmap for me show 60 and 74. When I hop in the game the 60 one becomes 70-80. But I never see a connection to the second server. As I’ve already said it never appears in the geofilter map, but only pings in the heatmap.

@Netduma Liam can you try a connection to the this server 138.199.3.69?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, nferguzl said:

If I raise the ping assist or enable fast search my ping goes from 70 all the way to 90 and upwards. Lowest ping servers in the ping heatmap for me show 60 and 74. When I hop in the game the 60 one becomes 70-80. But I never see a connection to the second server. As I’ve already said it never appears in the geofilter map, but only pings in the heatmap.

@Netduma Liam can you try a connection to the this server 138.199.3.69?

If you manually ping the server it will fail as game servers don't respond to traditional pings so there is no way to tell if it is connectable other than trying to connect to it on the Geo-Filter. If you disable the Geo-Filter, you'll get faster games of course but does that ever put you on the Miami server?

It will ocasionally connect to Miami but I can really tell the difference between 100 and 60 ping. 

What I’m asking you guys to do is to verify if you can connect to that server using the geo-filter. Or if not possible why does it appear in the ping heatmap.

• Administrators

What is your ping usually to Miami? Are you seeing simply by raising Ping Assist that your ping to the same server goes up or it connects you to servers that are higher ping?

I don't have Vanguard available at the moment to test this, we're also based in the UK so would take longer to try and force it than you.

I checked and warzone has the same servers and it’s free. You guys can try connecting with warzone. You can also see if it appears in the geofilter, because when I draw the area it never shows up. You don’t even have to connect to the server; when you start the game it should show it in the geofilter.

The Miami server always gives me the best ping/experience 70ms and it doesn’t go up. If I connect to other servers, ping is 90 and upwards which takes away the joy from the gaming experience. Well and that server I want to connect who knows what ping it will result.

• Administrators

Servers will not always appear in your radius when all the servers are pinged initially. 

Try this:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

Then see if it works.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, nferguzl said:

Thanks Fraser but I have already done those steps. Everything works it’s just this server which doesn’t show up. All I’m asking is for you to verify if this is the case.

I can do that but you may need to wait until tomorrow as I don't have it installed currently on my PC

@Netduma FraserDon't worry I was able to find the missing server. The ping heatmap is just misplacing its location. Placing the home location in the ocean and tweaking the ping assist to 75 and looking at the geo-filter auto-ping when connecting to servers, I was able to locate an IP 138.199.3.xx in atlanta. So that server is just misplaced in the ping heatmap.