R2 setup on Sky Broadband in UK

Ijb89

Hi guys

First post here - hope I’m posting in the right place.

Ive ordered the R2 router which is due to arrive on New Year’s Eve, but have just been looking at other forums and have seen some other customers experiencing difficulty in setting this router up. 

Context: Sky TV and Broadband customer in the UK with a Sky issued router (2 Ethernet ports at back). Router downstairs in family room with Ethernet running to an unmanaged switch in utility cupboard where connection is split to the 4 other rooms upstairs.

One of these rooms is my office which doubles up as my gaming room, and is where I’d like to manage the router from.

1. Other forums suggest I cannot simply replace the sky router with the Netduma once it arrives - is that correct?

2. Assuming I can’t just swap Sky’s router for the Netduma, how do I connect the Netduma to my network and then manage it using the PC upstairs? Can I just ‘daisy chain’ it into the Sky router by having an Ethernet come out of the Sky router, into Netduma, then another out of Netduma and into Unmanaged Switch in utility cupboard? 

any and all help much appreciated!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

1. In most cases it is advised to use your existing modem/router with the router, however, if you don't want to use the hub then you may be able to get it connected by following this guide: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/32036-netduma-r2-with-sky-dhcp-option-61/

2. Yes exactly you can 'daisy chain' it just like that. You will also then be able to access the Sky interface through a device connected to the R2 if needed as well.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

1. In most cases it is advised to use your existing modem/router with the router, however, if you don't want to use the hub then you may be able to get it connected by following this guide: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/32036-netduma-r2-with-sky-dhcp-option-61/

2. Yes exactly you can 'daisy chain' it just like that. You will also then be able to access the Sky interface through a device connected to the R2 if needed as well.

Hey Fraser,

Thanks so much for replying! 

I got the router today, and have got the wifi working but am unable to access the DUMAOS, and machines connected through ethernet from the TP Link switch aren't currently working. I've done the following steps:

1. CAT6 Cable (included in box) from port 1 on Sky's router to 'INTERNET' port on Netduma
2. Ethernets previously plugged into Sky Router moved to Netduma (Sky TV Box & Ethernet to TP Link 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (TL SG108 is the model)
3. Power on Sky Router
4. Power on Netduma R2
5. Connect a device via wifi to check it's up and running. 
6. Conduct speed test. 

All the above went well, so I went upstairs to my gaming computer and checked that was working, but cannot connect to the internet up there using the wired connection. It seems to time out rather than just flag that it's not connected to the internet though. I then thought perhaps i might just need to 'permit' each machine so tried typing 192.168.77.1, and also dumaos/ in the URL box on chrome, but both result in the spinning cursor that implies the page is taking too long to load. 

Weirdly, I've come back downstairs to connect a laptop directly into the Netduma router via ethernet, and this has worked fine for internet access - indeed i'm typing this from the same laptop - but typing dumaos/ or the IP into the address bar of my browser is also not working. 

I've not restarted the router as yet, or restarted my sky router - I was hoping someone would pop on here any save me a load of troubleshooting myself, but will try this in the event an answer isn't immediately forthcoming.

Thanks in advance, 

Update - slight progress:

I restarted the Sky and Netduma routers (pulled power), and managed to get on the router's settings page using wifi so have completed the setup wizard. I am also now able to connect to the internet using my ethernet wired PC upstairs, meaning the signal is getting through the TP Link now. I am still able to browse the net with my laptop whilst wired directly into the Netduma Router via ethernet. However, I am unable to access 192.168.77.1 OR https://dumaos when connected via ethernet on either device - it is only when I switch to wifi that I can log on to the router. 

As I've previously said, I'm wanting to use the interface with my gaming PC ideally, which is connected through that switch I mentioned

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You're welcome!

So it sounds like you have initially accessed the R2 and completed the Setup Wizard is that right? Try to access the interface using an Incognito window and see if it loads then please

Just seen this - I hadn't managed that at the time of my first post, but I have since managed to complete the setup wizard using my laptop and wifi. The status currently:

I am also now able to connect to the internet using my ethernet wired PC upstairs, meaning the signal is getting through the TP Link now. I am still able to browse the net with my laptop whilst wired directly into the Netduma Router via ethernet. However, I am unable to access 192.168.77.1 OR https://dumaos when connected via ethernet on either device - it is only when I switch to wifi that I can log on to the router and update settings etc. 

As I've previously said, I'm wanting to use the interface with my gaming PC ideally, which is connected through that TP Link 8 port switch I mentioned

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Don't use HTTPS, that may be the reason it's not loading properly, use http so http://192.168.77.1 or http://dumaos and see if it loads please

Hi there

Still not responding on wired connection using either http, https or none of the above.

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unplug the power from the R2 for 10 minutes, plug in, wait 2 minutes and try again please. Is it always the infinite loading you see when accessing?

Hi there - I have now done this, and it's no different - I am now unable to access the dumaOS from a WiFi, or a wired ethernet connection. Is the router perhaps faulty?

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting - when you received the router did you upgrade to .394 right away by any chance?

No - not upgraded anything, just plugged in then the setup wizard 

@Netduma Fraser - please let me know if I’m going to have to return the router and order another - I have work on the 4th jan and whilst the internet is working, I don’t want to have to take the setup apart and reinstate the old setup after the holidays are over. 

• Administrators

It's interesting it's only working through WiFi, could you connect via WiFi then on the PC open command prompt, type ipconfig press enter and post the results here, then connect via ethernet and do the same please. It's too early to tell for the moment but I'll be here over the weekend so will be able to get a clearer idea by Monday.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's interesting it's only working through WiFi, could you connect via WiFi then on the PC open command prompt, type ipconfig press enter and post the results here, then connect via ethernet and do the same please. It's too early to tell for the moment but I'll be here over the weekend so will be able to get a clearer idea by Monday.

I am now unable to connect via WiFi either

Ethernet:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2a02:c7f:e5ba:9300:65f3:6ace:2a21:bf44
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd3c:fbaf:3657:0:65f3:6ace:2a21:bf44
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a::78c
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a:0:65f3:6ace:2a21:bf44
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a:4::78c
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2a02:c7f:e5ba:9300:cc0c:d22c:a8e3:42d5
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd3c:fbaf:3657:0:8d7d:1d0d:f396:344
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd3c:fbaf:3657:0:cce7:6dec:f091:cbef
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd3c:fbaf:3657:0:d9d5:58f5:d051:d0ca
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a:0:8d7d:1d0d:f396:344
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a:0:cce7:6dec:f091:cbef
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fdcf:44de:48a:0:d9d5:58f5:d051:d0ca
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::65f3:6ace:2a21:bf44%12
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.65
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a2bd:cdff:fef4:58d9%12

The PC isn't picking up the Wifi all the way upstairs, so I'll post the wifi ipconfig from my laptop in a second.

ipconfig isn't working on my Mac's terminal, and IFCONFIG is showing a lot of additional information but isn't giving me the IPv6 addresses which I presume you need. When I access Network Utility though on my mac, it says the WiFi IP is 192.168.0.5

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for that, it appears as though the R2 is acting like a switch so I think you'll need to reset it again hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then wait 2 minutes and see if you can access

I've reset it (I think?). I pressed something thin into the hole at the back marked 'reset' for 30 seconds then released, but the lights didn't all go off or anything - is there anything visual that would tell me it's reset?

Whatever I've done hasn't fixed it though - i'm trying to access IP 192.168.77.1 now via ethernet and, although the icon in the tab on the toolbar is still spinning to suggest it's trying to reach, it's given this result:

This site can’t be reached

192.168.77.1 took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Trying via WiFi results in same spinning circle followed by that message. 

FYI Wi-Fi is connected to NetdumaR2 and has the IP address 192.168.0.5.
Ethernet: USB 10/100/1000 LAN is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.0.57.

@Netduma Fraser Another note - I'm plugged into the netduma directly via ethernet, so assume I should see the Netduma IP when looking at Network Information on my Mac. I don;t though, I see the following:

Router: 192.168.0.1

This is the IP of my Sky Router.. Is there a way I can force it to look at the netduma as the router instead?

• Administrators

Thanks for trying, set a static IP on the PC with the following details

IP address: 192.168.77.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.77.1

If you're not sure how to do this, you can check this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows then try accessing 192.168.77.1 please and see if it works.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for trying, set a static IP on the PC with the following details

IP address: 192.168.77.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.77.1

If you're not sure how to do this, you can check this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows then try accessing 192.168.77.1 please and see if it works.

Yes - this has worked. I've not progressed through the setup wizard again though - do you want me to do that now?