XR 500 won't work at all

So long story short. I put my XR500 on the shelf for a bit prob 2 yrs. I go to plug it in yesterday to see the new features and what not the only light that comes on is the usb 2 light and nothing else. No access to the net via wireless. I didn't try plugging into it at all though. Not sure what to do. Any help would be great!

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Likely, the button on the back has been toggled which turns off most of the lights, the router has likely reset as well so you'd need to try and access the interface and go through the setup wizard if applicable.

So I should plug it back in and hook up to the router with my laptop then? The on/off button works fine if thats what your referring to.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

So I should plug it back in and hook up to the router with my laptop then? The on/off button works fine if thats what your referring to.

Yes that's what I would recommend - not the power button, there is an actual toggle switch that can turn off most of the LEDs

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's what I would recommend - not the power button, there is an actual toggle switch that can turn off most of the LEDs

I tried to plug my router in today and the internet works when I plug into it. But when I plugged into the router and typed default gateway 192.168.1.1 I could not access the interface. The usb2 light is on and the port that the laptop is using are the only ones on. I am using google chrome browser and cleared my cache. I don't know? I'm not to savvy with these things. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:46 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

In the text box below click choose files and then should allow you to upload it. Once uploaded click the little + icon on it to insert into the post

I sent you a message a few days ago. Did you get it? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 9:05 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes thanks, looks like it's acting like a switch so you'll have to do a reset, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then wait 2 minutes and see if you can access, complete the wizard and get internet

I tried it and nothing. I held it down for like a min too. I have internet through it but I still can't access the face of it. Idk.

Side note- I'm thinking about purchasing the R2. Are all of the bugs and kinks worked out on it?

• Administrators

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

The current stable is quite good but we have some firmware releasing soon that will be even better so definitely heading in a great direction!