Lag Spikes When using XR500 with Cox router & Elite Gamer VPN

mproved

Ok so overall my internet is not as stable as I would like. Cox knows that their internet is not the best for gaming so they set up their VPN called Elite Gamer. Normally where my ping would be in the high 80s, it can cut it down to around 17 if it choose the correct servers. So it fixes my issue mostly. I would still like to take advantage of Nighthawk XR500's geofilter but anytime I try to use XR500 and Elitegamer together I get a lot of lagspikes. 

My normal setup goes: COX modem > XR500 > Gaming PC  all hardwired ethernet. 

For testing purposes I connected an ethernet from my Cox modem directly to my gaming pc and when I play games with EG VPN on there are little to no lag spikes. 

What are some troubleshooting steps I can try to see if I can get the Cox modem and EG VPN to work smoothly with XR500??

• Administrators

A VPN doesn't do anything regarding QoS I assume it's just giving you better routing to game servers. Are your speeds actually 1000/40? Have you added a device to the Geo-Filter - can't see from your screenshot and how is it added exactly?

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. 

My most recent speed test showed 920.37 mbps download and 34.63 mbps upload just now. 

Right now my gaming PC is the selected device for the geofilter although i do have it set as a console because it was a workaround for something (i dont remember what anymore).

screenshots attached.  

device selection for geofilter.PNG

most recent speed test.PNG

In an effort to try and quantify the issues I am experiencing while ingame connected to XR500, I did a connection test. Interesting the ping and upload shows good but the download is lower than it should be I am not sure why. 

Connection test.PNG

Oh ok good to know about the benchmark..

I usually notice the lagspikes specifically when playing Destiny 2 PVP in the evenings (EST). How can I test what the lagspikes go up to?

Cox's VPN only counts how many spikes and loss happens during a play sessions. In game it will look like players and opponents are speeding  up unexpectedly like someone pressed fast forward for a split second. it happens very quickly but it throws off timing.

• Administrators

I mean so if your ping is usually 30ms and it spikes to 100ms for example. Okay so the VPN is where you're measuring it exactly? Does it show that when in the game and connected behind the XR? If it does then I wouldn't think it would be on your side.

Ohh ok yea I think you're right. 

I was measuring from the VPN and yea its likely not on my side. It would show it in game before and I have been trying to replicate the issue over the last 2 days but i do not see it any more which also points to the distant end maybe had issues that have since been resolved?