XR1000 UPnP and other experiences

Hello all,

I just recently bought the XR1000. I always had good luck with Netgear devices. I'm close to sending it back. So far the one thing I've noticed that is broke is UPnP. I do have the newest firmware version installed, (1.0.0.58). UPnP,  I am told is clicked by default but it does not show that the checkmark box is ticked. I didn't know this until after I checked it and  both Xboxes went moderate NAT. I reset router and have not touched UPnP this time. I was thinking of setting up port forwarding but your not supposed to use it in conjunction with UPnP or DMZ, only one or the other. If I was to try it,  I have no way of telling if UPnP is actually check to be enabled or disabled. 

I also have a problem getting ipv6 to work on one of the Xboxes. They are both hard wired to LAN ports of the router. The difference is the Xbox Series S upstairs connects directly but the Xbox Series X is connected via a Buffalo un-managed switch. I only have one LAN cable going downstairs so my computer and Xbox Series X are connected through this switch. 

I don't seem to have much luck with the DumaOS part of things either. I'm not sure I'm getting the settings right to make the improvements I was hoping for with COD Vanguard in game. I still have a R1 here at the house sitting somewhere. I stopped using that a while back for the same reason. It just seems that from all the problems I've been reading about that others are having with this router that it is taking a long time to get a fix. I think latest firmware was released in August?

Thanks,

goblin

Switches should not be preventing IPv6 communication.

If you have your computer on the same switch check if that gets IPv6 (open CMD, type ipconfig)

It would be strange if your other Xbox gets IPv6, that should mean it works at the router. I don't see how the switch is the issue but you could try taking that out.

• Administrators

NG are aware of the UPnP issue, it is enabled by default so it will be working, it's just an aesthetic issue. What's the issue you're having with Vanguard exactly?

As above, if the one through the router gets an IPv6 address then the router is doing what it should, so as a test would be good to remove the switch and see if it works

Fraser, 

Like I said, I think that maybe I'm not doing the settings properly. I did notice last night that with geofilter set to the area around where the two best Vanguard servers are, (east coast) and where the people I was playing with that the game had a hard time finding games when someone from Texas joined the party. Weather I or someone else hosted. I'm trying to learn and figure this all out. Oh, and thank you Bert.

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, goblin said:

Fraser, 

Like I said, I think that maybe I'm not doing the settings properly. I did notice last night that with geofilter set to the area around where the two best Vanguard servers are, (east coast) and where the people I was playing with that the game had a hard time finding games when someone from Texas joined the party. Weather I or someone else hosted. I'm trying to learn and figure this all out. Oh, and thank you Bert.

A person in your party? How many people do you have in your party and is everyone else on the East Coast?

I live in Maryland, the rest last night were in New Jersey and Massachusetts. There were 4 total until the Texas friend joined us. I've often wondered if I'm setting my boundaries for the servers I'm connecting to will it effect which friends I can play with. We all have friends online all over the place and I'm not sure where every single one lives. The two servers I set it up around were very good low ping servers.

• Administrators

The more people you add the harder it may be to get games as you it needs to find a server that a) has enough spaces b) spaces are all on the same team, then you're restricting the amount of servers as options so it can take longer. If you play with 2 others and one of them is the Texan player is getting a game faster or is it whenever they join regardless of the amount of people?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so as far as IPv6 goes on the Xboxes. If I reset gaming settings so I'm not using them on the router and restart, I can get the IPv6 address to the Xboxes but eventually they go away sometime after playing again, even without using the geofilter and all that. The Xbox Series-S as well as the Series-X downstairs that is connected through the switch. The computer connected through the switch has IPv6 address. I did follow a guide on here to make IPv6 work that had me disable QOS and such. It did clean things up a bit but it doesn't last once you try using the gaming settings again. I think I'm done with this router all together. It doesn't sound like there is another firmware update coming from other posts I'm reading. I'm not a networking genius or anything but I can follow the guides. I've never had any problems with Netgear routers until I bought this one. If there were a new firmware on the way, it would be nice to know.

• Administrators

How do you have IPv6 set exactly? Updates will be coming, unless we or Netgear have said there are no updates coming then I would not believe anyone who says otherwise - if a firmware hasn't come for a little while then some people tend to make the assumption that the router has been abandoned which is not the case. This post explains why they can take awhile and why they will be coming faster from now on: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/38088-where-is-the-next-dumaos-firmware-for-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers/

I applied DHCP for IPv6. I read Luke's post. I'm just frustrated that I'm not getting the results I need while playing COD Vanguard. There is too much that goes wrong the more I use it, plus all the problems COD games have.