R2 added to network with OPNSENSE

DocHodges

Hey guys I have a pretty robust network setup for my home using OPNSENSE. I want to have my main gaming computer to be setup on the netduma OS. I dont need anything else connected to the R2 if thats the route I need to go. I simply want to take advantage of the geofencing/VPN to allow me to gain a better low ping connection. I am just not sure if this is possible. Before I buy anything I would love to gain a full understanding on if/how I can make this work without effecting the rest of my network. Any support on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I mean if you're happy with your current setup you can just add the R2 on, connect the PC to the R2 and you'll be good to go - as long as the OPNSENSE doesn't block any traffic to the R2.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I mean if you're happy with your current setup you can just add the R2 on, connect the PC to the R2 and you'll be good to go - as long as the OPNSENSE doesn't block any traffic to the R2.

Thank you for the reply. With the setup you describe I would imagine there would be risk of double nat for sure but that can be solved. In doing my research I found that many recommend the R2 the be ahead of the OPNSENSE router. Would having the R2 on LAN instead of WAN effect anything at all? Would I be able to get full functionality of the R2 with it not on WAN? I would certainly prefer the OPNSENSE to be connected to WAN but worried about the above. 

• Administrators

If the R2 is above you can then make more use of the features such as QoS and certainly if it was behind QoS wouldn't work that well but the Geo-Filter will work in either case. We normally always recommend everything goes behind the R2 but given your scenario if you're happy with the setup you don't need to

I actually have OpenWRT in a old pc and its been my dedicated main Router for a few days now. Testing R2 and the raw version of OpenWRT, I seem to get better results with just a raw version of OpenWRT, instead of the Duma OS overlay. Also the PC (which I am sure explains why is way better) is way more powerful to handle the bandwidth, so far SQM is working fine with no drops on bandwidth speed.

I will soon connect the r2 to the OpenWRT Router PC, then my gaming PC/game consoles to the R2, then disabling the QOS in the R2 and try to only use the geo filter stuff.