R2 WIFI IS SO BAD

danszp

I've had my Netduma R2 for 6+ months. The wifi is so so so so bad. Its incredibly slow, I get about 10% of my speeds that I pay for. It drops the network ALL THE TIME. This thing is a $200 paper weight. I unplug it and plug in my ancient router and it works perfectly fine. I can't believe how bad this thing is. 

11 hours ago, danszp said:

I've had my Netduma R2 for 6+ months. The wifi is so so so so bad. Its incredibly slow, I get about 10% of my speeds that I pay for. It drops the network ALL THE TIME. This thing is a $200 paper weight. I unplug it and plug in my ancient router and it works perfectly fine. I can't believe how bad this thing is. 

Hi and welcome.

tell us more about how it’s all setup. Include isp and equipment and where the R2 is located and what steps you have taken to try to improve the performance  of the WiFi.

Verizon, 400mbps. Located in my living room, wifi is bad in the living room and bedroom which is about 20 feet from the living room. 1200 sqft house. Hard line internet totally fine, no complaints at all. Wifi absolutely horrible. 

1 hour ago, danszp said:

Verizon, 400mbps. Located in my living room, wifi is bad in the living room and bedroom which is about 20 feet from the living room. 1200 sqft house. Hard line internet totally fine, no complaints at all. Wifi absolutely horrible. 

I'd suggest you use a Wi-Fi analyser to identify which are the least congested channels in your area. You can then adjust the 2.4 and 5GHz channels accordingly in your R2 Wi-Fi settings.

There's a good Wi-Fi analyser on the Microsoft store you can download.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, Netduma Liam said:

I'd suggest you use a Wi-Fi analyser to identify which are the least congested channels in your area. You can then adjust the 2.4 and 5GHz channels accordingly in your R2 Wi-Fi settings.

There's a good Wi-Fi analyser on the Microsoft store you can download.

That wont help when the router is not even fully Wi-Fi 5 spec wave 1, the antenna and the board itself are not well protected from RFI let alone a chipset that is so old it could be found in the ARK and does not even use OEM drivers, Its good software with mediocre hardware as best and that is not my opinion thats the opinion of some much better minds than mine on the router on smallnetbuilder, a router with no proper heat sync no RFI protection (proper metal shielding to make a faraday cage and a half sized board with 128mb of ram on a CPU thats  dual core running at 880Mhz. In this day and this hardware age just wont cut it, no matter how good the software and for its price there are much better routers out thesre and none of them are Netgear gaming ones using Netduma, stick with Asus gaming routers liuke the RT-AX86U which has support from Merlin. Netduma should have put more money into the hardware, period! Sorry that's just my view, others mileage may vary. Netduma need to make better hardware not try to make what appears to be a huge profit on a £30 router at best, there is not even a reason for the antenna to be split into 4, its form over function.