R2 configuration with pre existing network hardware

srosy

I am currently using a netduma R2 but experiencing some issues when trying to queue up for cod warzone.  Setup is ubiquiti udm pro with a switch in a central area.  R2 is only attached to one pc used for warzone.  Im not sure how often this topic is specifically touched upon I could not find anything on it.  But what is the proper configuration when doing this.  I am using both ethernet ports on my pc to have 2 different connections for for r2 one for main network.  Any recommendations?  ISP > R2 > Current system ?

Plug the connection from the switch in the LAN port of the R2. Connect R2 to PC.

Switch off wifi radio's.

And the rest should be ok. 

Internally I would also switch off QoS as this does not benefit you when you are only using one device.

On your UDM pro, add the R2 to DMZ.

So that’s the way I have it setup now, I guess I need to look into the DMZ, anything specifically to do on that?  The problem currently is that the two don’t seem to communicate properly together for example, when I turn on both connections on the pc at the same time the duma os sets up proper upnp for the matchmaking service but when it’s setup on its own it does not and causes issues with the game. Maybe I can set that up manually somehow but I will try this and let you know if it works.  Any info on the DMZ part would be appreciated and I will do some research myself as well. Also any port forwarding needed On the ub side for the r2 to work properly?

Most likely it's using the connection to the UDM when both is active. That's why you get proper port forwarding. It's actually really simple for windows this is the shortest path since there is one hop less.

For DMZ. I don't know UDM specifically. But your R2 should have a WAN address. You go into the UDM Pro and find the DMZ option and enter the R2's WAN there.

I would not run both connections in the same time tbh. Your UDM should have SQM QoS, so just use that and use the geofilter from the R2. In this scenario, you should be able to access resources in the network like a NAS. Your R2 firewill will block incoming traffic if you want to access your PC from other places in the network. But if this is a dedicated gaming machine this is not necessary most of the time.

What you can try, if you want to keep both links active, is find network adapter properties. Go into IPv4, under advanced, switch off automatic metric. Then give your connection to the R2 a number, ie 1, and your other network card a 2, and if you have any other like wifi a 3. This prioritizes the network adapter to the R2.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It would be best if everything could be connected behind the R2 including the UDM but if you're not worried about QoS and just want to use the Geo-Filter your setup is fine. Good advice above as well.

@Netduma Fraser So putting the R2 in between my box and the udm is the correct way?  I do not need QoS or wifi so I am using it as you guys described right now.  I think I found it, on ub its called "allow list" for threat management system.  Its the only place I can find to input an address to white list.  Any other feedback will be appreciated, I will next try turning off the auto metric and then just putting the r2 behind the udm if i have to.

• Administrators

Yes it general that is the best way, if you're not worried about losing QoS then the way you have it at the moment (box > udm > R2) is fine. I haven't used Ubiq personally, does it allow you to put more than one device there? If so I don't think that will be it. You could instead try port forwarding all ports to the R2 which would perform the same function as the DMZ.