Change the router password 404 error

That is not the case. I even tried a different browser. Still same message right after logging into the router. Also this firmware never saves the backup settings. 3 times now I have had this router just start acting up then I have to reset it and manually redo the settings. It's getting old. Has not had a firmware update in quite some time. I thought there would be fix for that by now. The advance wireless settings are a joke. It would not connect consistently to many wireless devices until I turned off AX. Wasted a whole evening of my time trying to load a backup that never worked. I have 3 backups they do nothing. I have everything configured just as I wanted and now its all lost!

• Administrators

What do you mean by it acts up? Most likely, you'd just need to change the 5GHz mode down to the 2400Mbps option I believe it is and then devices would connect fine. What password are you trying to use, do you have symbols in it for example?

The AX mode enabled causes the wireless connection issues. What I mean by acts up, is it crashes. Then I can not access the router OS. It is slow trying to load, then it just fails. The password is the password I have always used. If you do the password recovery then it will change it. I don't use that. The questions are weak, you can look that stuff up on most people on Facebook. I use a password manager. But on top of all of this once again this router does not backup correctly. It does not save the settings in a back up or its refusing to load them when I want to restore a backup.

• Administrators

There have been people who have had issues with the WiFi and the mode change I mentioned helped with no need to disable AX, reason being 4800Mbps is 160Mhz which not a lot of devices support - you can try this if you like.

What firmware version are you using currently? I'm not advocating you use a weak password, you said you're trying to apply a new password so what is different about that password compared to the old one? For example, the router may not be liking certain symbols you may be trying to use. What settings specifically are not being backed up?

Firmware: XR1000 1.0.0.58_1.0.44

I just checked when AX is enabled it set it to 2400bps by default. I never changed it. My password has no symbols only letters and numbers. No settings are being backed up. Also all my previous routers I always changed the default IP gateway address. I can't do that with this router I found when I initially set it up. It caused problems but I can't remember what the problems were. After just configuring with the default IP those problems disappeared. 

• Administrators

You may have an issue in the boot process, I'd suggest you reinstall the firmware using TFTP which bypasses that and any potential issues there: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP?article=000059634 then after it's installed fully, do a factory reset, that will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully resolve your issues. I would also not recommend using Armor as that seems to cause some issues with the interface as well.

• Administrators

If you're using a MAC you can use an application instead and follow this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client?article=000059633 if you're using another operating system you'll need to look up separately how to do that as the NG guides only cover Windows and MAC

Looking at to trying to read the backup file seems to not be possible? So if I reload the router using tftp as suggested. Will it be ok to load one of the old backups then? Or could that possibly be corrupt and is not recommended? I went through a long process to get my signal stable for gaming. Really would like to avoid having to repeat that process all over again,

So is it possible to read the backup config files so I could see if I could manually recover the settings I have previously for the xr1000?

• Administrators

Yes it could possibly corrupt as you could have saved an issue in the config and then re-introduce it, you can try it, it may be okay. No way to read the config files. Shouldn't take too long to resetup, it's mostly the Geo-Filter and QoS you would want to focus on.

So I was able to TFTP the router the firmware. I then immediately did a factory reset. Next I did some basic settings and did a backup. Then I loaded my old backup and it shows the settings I was looking for. So if I have not problems I will leave it as is. If I do. I can start over. I also made a quick guide if any other Mac users need to do this. 

So here is a How-To: For TFTP to a router with the a Mac's built in TFTP

1. Download and save the router’s firmware onto the desktop of your computer. Make sure to extract the file from the zip folder. The firmware file format is either a .img or .chk file.
    2. Connect a Mac wired to the router and set it to have a static IP address (example 192.168.1.10). 
      Beginner: How To Set Up A Static IP in Mac OS X use the following settings.

Select Use the following IP address and set the IP address information like below:

• IP address => 192.168.1.10
        • Subnet mask => 255.255.255.0
        • Default Gateway => 192.168.1.1

3. On the Mac OS device, open Terminal and enter the following command:

1. cd (drag the folder contains the firmware file to Terminal)
      2. tftp 192.168.1.1
      3.  “binary
      4. Unplug all port connections from router except the Mac you are using to upload.
      5. Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
      6. Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
      7. Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
      8. Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.
      9. Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.
      10. The light will turn solid orange.
      11. Give the router approximately 15 seconds to connect to the Mac. (Connection can are verified in the network settings where you setup the static IP. Should show a green dot if connected)
      12.  “put [firmware file]”
      13. It should now been sending the file to the router. Give it time to send it will then report back a sent message. If it reports it can’t connect. Check your static IP settings and make sure the Mac network connection indicates and connection.

The result will be shown on Terminal after the file has been uploaded successfully.

Then the router will now reboot and return to normal operating mode.