Netgear XR500 internet dropping.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

How often is it occurring? Is it wireless or wired devices or both? Do you still have access to the interface when it happens? Does the connection come back on its own or do you need to reboot or factory reset to get it back?

@Netduma Fraser So, it was installed Wednesday night and dropped off 4 times. Once  on Thursday morning, 3 times in the afternoon and twice at night. Today it’s dropped twice before and after I upgraded to .120. Both wired and wireless drop off and the lights on the router never change. I almost always still have access to the interface, and it never comes back on its own. I always reboot manually, or through the computer/phone.

• Administrators

Thanks for the information. Did you have the issue prior to upgrading to .120? When it happens again access the interface, go to the System Information page, download the log, post it here and let us know the time roughly when it disconnected please.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for the information. Did you have the issue prior to upgrading to .120? When it happens again access the interface, go to the System Information page, download the log, post it here and let us know the time roughly when it disconnected please.

It happened again, and yes it happened before .120. Here is the log; log-1632517343619.txt

• Administrators

It's quite possible that it's due to your public IP changing frequently, it's 3 times within 3 hours so likely that sometimes it's not re-establishing the connection properly. This is something Netgear are actively trying to resolve. There are 2 things that could help right now, other than that it would need to be fixed via firmware:

1. User another router in front of the XR - this can handle the frequent change and the XR should sustain a connection
  2. Call the ISP and get them to either:
    a) Extend the lease time of the IP
    b) Issue a fixed/static IP - some ISPs charge extra for this

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's quite possible that it's due to your public IP changing frequently, it's 3 times within 3 hours so likely that sometimes it's not re-establishing the connection properly. This is something Netgear are actively trying to resolve. There are 2 things that could help right now, other than that it would need to be fixed via firmware:

1. User another router in front of the XR - this can handle the frequent change and the XR should sustain a connection
  2. Call the ISP and get them to either:
    a) Extend the lease time of the IP
    b) Issue a fixed/static IP - some ISPs charge extra for this

This only happened when I got rid of my modem/router combo from optimum. Definitely don’t want to shell out the cash for another router lol. I’ll try calling them and seeing what they say. 

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, electionz said:

This only happened when I got rid of my modem/router combo from optimum. Definitely don’t want to shell out the cash for another router lol. I’ll try calling them and seeing what they say. 

Ah, that makes sense and would seem to indicate it's the public IP renewing so much. They might be able to give it back or could get a very cheap router that does the job if the ISP charges you monthly for the combo

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah, that makes sense and would seem to indicate it's the public IP renewing so much. They might be able to give it back or could get a very cheap router that does the job if the ISP charges you monthly for the combo

I had a combo modem/router  with them and the signal was absolute garbage. Which is why I opted to get my own separate devices. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, electionz said:

@Netduma Fraser

talked to my ISP (optimum). They had no clue what extending the lease on the IP meant and thought I was talking about range extenders lol. They won’t give me a fixed ip because I have an individual account and not a business account. I have a dynamic IP. 

You would've got lowest tier support tech so makes sense.

13 minutes ago, electionz said:

I had a combo modem/router  with them and the signal was absolute garbage. Which is why I opted to get my own separate devices. 

You can turn off the WiFi on that and just use the XR WiFi instead. All we want a router for is to direct traffic to the XR, other than that it's best not to use it so you still get the benefits of the XR.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You would've got lowest tier support tech so makes sense.

You can turn off the WiFi on that and just use the XR WiFi instead. All we want a router for is to direct traffic to the XR, other than that it's best not to use it so you still get the benefits of the XR.

So, the recommendation is to get rid of the modem I bought, and put the modem/router combo they gave me back in?