Network connection was lost on iOS devices

Pergisi

Hi

I’m having a problem with my devices stating “the network connection was lost” on some websites. It initially started happening on my iPad and I assumed it was because of the beta version I was on. However, it is now happening on my iPhone also which is a stable release. It’s intermittent and only happens on some websites. Sometimes those websites will work again but it’s been getting worse recently. A reboot usually did fix the issues but recently it’s not been helping. This issue has been present for months now because of the intermittency I didn’t think much of it but it’s not starting to get frustrating since I’m unable to load a lot of things after Google works. I have attached a video to show the symptoms. 

I’m looking forward to a reply with some troubleshooting steps

Thank you 

C40104A1-ECAE-4C40-86AA-BF7DBE0996FE.png

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do you have adblocker enabled? If so, could you please disable it to confirm it's not causing the problem.

Do you have this issue on any other devices or is it just these two Apple devices?

Hey, thank you 

I haven’t got it enabled and I’ve only noticed it on these two devices. It doesn’t seem to happening on my Mac though.

Also just experienced Discord not connecting when I’m on the WiFi. Everything works when I switch to 5G.

actually I’m having issues with some images and icons not loading in YouTube on my Mac 

Edited by Pergisi
Added Mac issue

39 minutes ago, Pergisi said:

Hey, thank you 

I haven’t got it enabled and I’ve only noticed it on these two devices. It doesn’t seem to happening on my Mac though.

Also just experienced Discord not connecting when I’m on the WiFi. Everything works when I switch to 5G.

actually I’m having issues with some images and icons not loading in YouTube on my Mac 

Hmm OK, could you please fully disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control and see if this fixes the issue. If it does, we know we need to dig into the QoS setup a little more and to make sure everything's getting enough bandwidth.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hmm OK, could you please fully disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control and see if this fixes the issue. If it does, we know we need to dig into the QoS setup a little more and to make sure everything's getting enough bandwidth.

My QOS was on Auto-Enable with Classified Games as the only enabled option. When I pressed Never it made no difference but when I disabled QOS completely in the three-line menu as you said it has fixed the issue with the iOS devices. 

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting. On the iOS devices on the settings for the R2 connection, disable Private Addresses, disconnect then reconnect and see if it still occurs with QoS on

Thank you for joining in also Fraser. 

I have disabled private address and upon reenabling QOS I’m back to having lost connection to websites for example the Netduma forums.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you added any manual Traffic Prioritization rules or adjusted Bandwidth Allocation, disabled Share Excess etc?

There are no manual Traffic Prioritization rules, only Duma Classified Games is enabled. I haven't adjusted the Bandwidth Allocation and Share Excess is enabled.

21 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there anything else on these iOS devices you're using, a particular application, VPN etc?

No and it's also occurring on my Mac where I can browse YouTube just fine but some images don't load. I have attached photos to show what I mean, this is on one page 

IMG_0758.png

IMG_1775.png

As the Honey ad is displaying I'm not using any AdBlocker or Extension on Safari

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really weird. Are you using a custom DNS? What settings have you changed specifically? Anything you can think of can help

I’m using custom DNS, CloudFlare so I don’t think it would cause any issues but something to note. I think it’s strange it’s intermittent, so now I can access the forums on the WiFi but I couldn’t earlier. I can’t recall changing anything else, I just followed the recommended settings and did the Geo-Filter for my PS5 and set network congestion to around 70% and kept Duma Classified Games enabled, I’ve disabled the WiFi on the device and use an Apple Airport as the base station. 

• Administrators

Thanks for all that information so definitely two things there that jump out at me:

1. DNS - CloudFlare is very popular and many people do use them for DNS so it's unlikely to be this but they can have outages sometimes so I'd first try removing that and see if the same issue occurs.
  2. Apple Airport - It's an Apple device and you're only having the issue on Apple devices as well so could be the QoS and Airport conflicting for some reason. I imagine it will be an inconvenience to remove this briefly and see if you get the issues direct to the R2 WiFi although this would be the ideal test. So instead, try making a Traffic Controller rule to the Airport and allow all traffic. What mode is the Airport in, does it assign IPs to the devices or is it in AP mode for example?