• Administrators
6 hours ago, Martdog23 said:

Sorry to just now be getting back on this @Netduma Fraser, i see people on the internet suggest not lowering Upload due to lag compensation? Can you elaborate more on why to or not to lower the upload, please.

Usually they suggest lowering upload to combat lag compensation as they theorize having a much lower upload fools the game into thinking you have a worse connection than you do, thereby giving you an advantage over others.

Regardless of lag compensation though using QoS for upload is a good idea as you have much lower upload than download and therefore it's more likely to become saturated which could cause you to lag.

thank you for the response. Just out of curiousity, you do not recommend using the Auto-Setup, what do you recommend to do to figure out what the appropriate % are on the congestion. Do you think I should keep it ticked to "always". Should I use the wheel?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Martdog23 said:

thank you for the response. Just out of curiousity, you do not recommend using the Auto-Setup, what do you recommend to do to figure out what the appropriate % are on the congestion. Do you think I should keep it ticked to "always". Should I use the wheel?

It depends how precise you want to be, you could play a game and lower the percentage, play another and lower it further etc until you find a value that feels right or you can go more in depth:

By utilizing this guide: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping while saturating your connection with downloads and with Always selected start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

You don't need to adjust Bandwidth Allocation really.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It depends how precise you want to be, you could play a game and lower the percentage, play another and lower it further etc until you find a value that feels right or you can go more in depth:

By utilizing this guide: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping while saturating your connection with downloads and with Always selected start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

You don't need to adjust Bandwidth Allocation really.

thank you @Netduma Fraseri appreciate your feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, my R2 will not use the DNS from ISP even when i manually put them in on the WAN Network tab. Is there a workaround or maybe is anyone aware of a problem that could be causing this? @Netduma FraserI see a lot of videos speaking of disabling ipv6, i think my experience is better with it on, im on xbox series x. Also any feedback would be appreciated as always. 🙏

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Martdog23 said:

For some reason, my R2 will not use the DNS from ISP even when i manually put them in on the WAN Network tab. Is there a workaround or maybe is anyone aware of a problem that could be causing this? @Netduma FraserI see a lot of videos speaking of disabling ipv6, i think my experience is better with it on, im on xbox series x. Also any feedback would be appreciated as always. 🙏

How are you checking the DNS exactly? 

@Netduma Frasermy devices? it will always give my devices the default router nameserver 192.168.77.1, which is fine as far as performance but wonder what is causing it. In my time of owning Netgear and Netduma equipment (ye, I know they are seperate entities) it has always been this way. Do you recommend maybe not using the default router/modem combo and buy my own modem?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Martdog23 said:

@Netduma Frasermy devices? it will always give my devices the default router nameserver 192.168.77.1, which is fine as far as performance but wonder what is causing it. In my time of owning Netgear and Netduma equipment (ye, I know they are seperate entities) it has always been this way. Do you recommend maybe not using the default router/modem combo and buy my own modem?

Your devices will always show the router as the DNS as they're going through the router first unless you've manually changed them, they will be using the DNS you've set on the router

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your devices will always show the router as the DNS as they're going through the router first unless you've manually changed them, they will be using the DNS you've set on the router

that is kind of what i am saying, even when manually set and a router reboot it still assigns the basic 192.168.77.1 for DNS.

• Administrators
On 6/28/2023 at 12:50 PM, Martdog23 said:

that is kind of what i am saying, even when manually set and a router reboot it still assigns the basic 192.168.77.1 for DNS.

On devices themselves they will show the router LAN IP as the DNS address, your DNS change does not affect this, however the device will be using the DNS you have set on the router. It is normal and expected behavior.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:19 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

On devices themselves they will show the router LAN IP as the DNS address, your DNS change does not affect this, however the device will be using the DNS you have set on the router. It is normal and expected behavior.

That would explain some things, I've had netgear products for around 7 years and never knew this bit of information, thank you.