Internal Streaming

Sukhi

Should not be really necessary IMHO.

It depends where you are streaming from, but if the TV is wired they generally max out at 100mbit. So fed through a network from a 1Gbit or faster capable device there should not be any issues.

That's the reason I prefer to run TV's etc on wire. It sort of does the QoS thing itself since no stream can buffer faster than 100mbit.

If you really want to be able to QoS something like that you need a managed switch with Diffserv/QoS controls.

Different story if wifi is involved though. 

I think enabeling SMB 1.0 is mainly for detection, if I don't enable that on my workstation my win 2016 server box doesn't always show in the Network section. You can still find it by typing the adress manually and the mapped shares still work.

Might help with Kodi visibility though.

Other option is putting your media on a portable drive and attach it to the XR450 router. I tried this with my XR500 and XR700 and it generally works ok for media sharing & SMB shares.

I don't know if there has been an update to Netgear since? but at the time when I was using the XR500, without the activation of SMB1 under W10, I did not have access to the "NAS" of the XR500!

It has worked fine for me actually. Just turning on SMB 1.0 on your PC shows them in Network Neighborhood a little easier.

Speeds are actually not too bad either. I get about 85MB/S in router mode off the XR500, in AP mode it did about 100-110 MB/s. XR700 seemed to top out at 200 MB/s.

I am using a Windows 2016 server box now for NAS/Media/etc as it has much higher performance but for a simple media player / file sharing service it will do the job.

For information, I did the test by activating SMB1 on W10. I no longer had access from my ISP router to my old HK AVR 265 audio / video receiver. A simple factory reset to operate from HK. I have access to audio streaming again via RJ45 ...