Traffic controller incorrectly blocking traffic

Hi,

We have a home network with three xboxes on it, I have created a rule to restrict my kids access to the internet.

However when it is active it is also blocking access for my xbox (although it is not affecting my partner's console)

Both affected consoles have different mac addresses, different ip addresses, and are clearly identified in the DumaOS software (DJA0231 20.3.c.0320). One is an older One X and the other is the new Series X

Any ideas what is happening here?

• Administrators

Can you delete one of the rules please - they're basically doing the same thing - allowing during certain times and blocking during others so only one is needed. Can you see if it then works as expected please?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you delete one of the rules please - they're basically doing the same thing - allowing during certain times and blocking during others so only one is needed. Can you see if it then works as expected please?

As requested I removed the allow rule, so only the following rule was running 
image.thumb.png.91fe63945724868e45e298fa732982fc.png

At 11:00 when the One X - Wireless was due to be blocked, the rule blocked the Series X instead, and the One X still had access to the internet. I have checked the MAC addresses of both devices and confirmed that they are labelled correctly

On 7/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That is a really weird one, in the Device Manager can you give them all different device types please and then see if they block the correct devices?

Noticed the same issues happening with two tablets in the house as well.

Will try you suggestion

7 hours ago, LordPaul said:

Changing the device type of both consoles (and both tablets) resolved the issue.

But doesnt explain why it is happening

That is bizarre, what did you change them to? Does the issue now re-occur when you change them back to their correct device types?

To be honest I have given up, this is the current rules, and instead of blocking the correct device, it is blocking my partner's phone (even though they are clearly identified by MAC and IP address)

image.thumb.png.26d010962d96ea81e3465fd2ea354f48.png

10 hours ago, LordPaul said:

To be honest I have given up, this is the current rules, and instead of blocking the correct device, it is blocking my partner's phone (even though they are clearly identified by MAC and IP address)

I can understand the frustration, do you know which rule is blocking your partner's phone? If we can work out which device the phone is being mistaken for, we might be able to work out why it's behaving this way.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:07 AM, LordPaul said:

We're looking into this internally and we're curious as to whether randomised MAC addresses could be causing the issue. Are the mobile phones in question Apple devices? If so, you can go to the Network Settings, open the (i) menu for the Wi-Fi network you're on and disable private addresses. Perhaps give that a go and see if Traffic Controller is still mismatching devices.

10 hours ago, LordPaul said:

The mobile phone are all android devices..... lol no apple products in this family :)

Haha no problem, a lot of Android devices still have this so it's worth looking into, I believe it's usually under the advanced settings for your Wi-Fi network.