Congestion control not always working

This is a bit of weird setup, but I have configured 2 routers in a single network with the purpose of running Dual WAN.

So: 

XR700

DHCP server for the whole network

wifi enabled

XR500

No DHCP server

wifi enabled, different SSID

The idea here is that the XR500 will serve as wifi acces point for WAN1 and connect wired to WAN2. Because XR700 runs DHCP for the entire network, any devices connecting to it will automatically be connected to WAN1. The back ports of the XR500 act as a switch, so this works perfectly. Then whatever gaming device we have ie Playstation 4, we simply enter a manual IP and set the gateway for WAN2, which is 192.168.1.254

The issue comes up with wifi. If I set my sliders on the XR700 to 50%. Connecting to the XR700 wifi gives me half the bandwidth. But as soon as I connect to the XR500's wifi SSID I will get the full open 100%. The WAN port of the XR500 is not connected at the moment so it isn't a case of it routing through the XR500. How can this be since the wifi on the XR500 connects to the XR700 via LAN? ie the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 So really it should not be treated differently vs traffic connected straight to the XR700.

Once WAN2 connects up, there won't be anymore issues since we don't really need the ABB sliders anymore but I found it a funny issue anyway.

• Administrators

Just to clarify, one of the XR500 LAN ports is connecting it to the 700, not the WAN port? If so that's probably why as it doesn't really get the internet properly that way, if you wanted to do that then you'd need to change the LAN port to be the WAN port. Any reason you're not using the specific AP mode on the 500 which basically does the same thing - even down to giving the 500 that same IP I think.

Yes the XR500 is connected via LAN port.

It's because the XR500 will be used with a second WAN connection, so that will be used later. But the wifi needs to run via the WAN on the XR700. This is not a matter of getting the internet the right way, it's perfectly fine to have 2 gateways as long as we specify which one to use. As it is now anything getting it's IP via DHCP will route over the XR700 while using the second WAN link on the XR500 requires manual setup.

The reason behind this is that all devices connected to the 192.168.1.x subnet will be able to connect to NAS etc. Also all devices are manageable from a single PC. So this is able to manage the XR700, XR500, switches etc.

It's just weird that congestion control does not work on wifi coming from the XR500 as for all intends and purposes this should behave the same as a regular wifi AP. When I ran it in a test setup the PC was connected to the back of the XR500 and regular LAN traffic is in fact limited by the XR700's congestion control. Everything functions as it should except for congestion control on traffic coming off the XR500 wifi.

Yes, they show up as wifi actually but not under the SSID they are using. Not sure how this is when you use a regular AP.

It's not a big deal really but I feel that CC should also limit that traffic, ie it's a bug in the system somewhere. In practice it won't matter since it won't run bandwidth controls when WAN2 is running as it's no longer needed.

• Administrators

They show up under the XR700 SSID? - That's because the 500 will be transparent so can't tell it's using a different SSID, to the 700 just looks as though they're connected directly to it. We can take a look at that