2.4 GHZ Wifi Connection

Keaton Horo

Hello. I have been having issues with my R2 router, mainly on the 2.4 GHZ connection. The 5 GHZ works perfect. I have tested the connection on multiple devices and ran multiple speed tests on all devices. On the 2.4 GHZ connection, I am only getting 2mbs down and .5 mbs up (my connection is fiber optic 400mbs down/up through Spectrum).

I reset the router and my ISP modem a few times but that also did not resolve the issue. The 2.4 GHZ connection is on channel 2 (used an analyzer to make sure it was alone) and have size set to 40mhz.

What could possibly be causing this issue? 

Edit: Ran another speedtest on the 2.4 connection. Now my download is at .5 mbs but my upload is fine at 394 mbs

With 40mhz you are using more channels within the 2.4ghz spectrum so it will pick up more interference if you have other neighbouring WiFi channels in use. 
It’s best to use 20Mhz and select 1, 6 or 11 but if you have lots of WiFi around you 2.4Ghz can suffer as they all collide and interfere with each other. 2.4ghz also has greater range than 5Ghz which compounds the issue as it reaches out and interferes with other WiFi sources and everyone else is doing the same thing.

A lot of routers will not allow 40mhz if they detect other channels.

Could you post a picture of your WiFi analyser which will help to see what’s going on around you.

@Newfie I changed to channel 4 and 20mhz. I know that 2.4 is slower but can travel further because it's more smaller wavelength than compared to 5ghz which is big but suffers at far distance.

@Netduma Fraser No the only thing that is within 5 feet of it is the ISP modem (emta no wifi etc). Has stupid password of the day so I cant even check if it's getting errors form the ISP.

On that note, and humor me please lol, could it be possible that the device got to hot, and one of the antennas possible unscrewed? I've never had a router like this (it works great btw ty for all the work you all did), so I tightened the antennas tight and placed it in a high place when I first got it since they use the dumbbell transmission effect.

5 minutes ago, Keaton Horo said:

@Newfie I changed to channel 4 and 20mhz. I know that 2.4 is slower but can travel further because it's more smaller wavelength than compared to 5ghz which is big but suffers at far distance.

@Netduma Fraser No the only thing that is within 5 feet of it is the ISP modem (emta no wifi etc). Has stupid password of the day so I cant even check if it's getting errors form the ISP.

On that note, and humor me please lol, could it be possible that the device got to hot, and one of the antennas possible unscrewed? I've never had a router like this (it works great btw ty for all the work you all did), so I tightened the antennas tight and placed it in a high place when I first got it since they use the dumbbell transmission effect.

It’s an omni directional antenna. Some of the newer routers exceed the older type routers on 5Ghz compared to 2.4 on the older gen routers, sadly they are not gaming routers. 

There’s no way the antenna can unscrew itself, and when running hot most processors will slow down or simply stop. 

How many other neighbouring channels do you have?

1 hour ago, Newfie said:

It’s an omni directional antenna. Some of the newer routers exceed the older type routers on 5Ghz compared to 2.4 on the older gen routers, sadly they are not gaming routers. 

There’s no way the antenna can unscrew itself, and when running hot most processors will slow down or simply stop. 

How many other neighbouring channels do you have?

Live in an apartment so quite a lot... what's weird is since I got it 3 weeks ago, it only started acting up on the 2.4ghz a few days ago. Today however it's working fine on both networks, so maybe like a ghost in the machine?

6 minutes ago, Keaton Horo said:

Live in an apartment so quite a lot... what's weird is since I got it 3 weeks ago, it only started acting up on the 2.4ghz a few days ago. Today however it's working fine on both networks, so maybe like a ghost in the machine?

A lot of routers use an automatic channel selection, it could be that extra ones populated your channel and if they are used heavily the data flying around creates more interference. 
When there are lots around it’s hard to avoid interference but WiFi 6 offers better connection in built up areas and you would need devices that support AX to benefit. 
There are Extenders that offer wifi 6 as well as routers most of which can be used in AP mode so you would turn off the WiFi on the R2 and let the router or extender handle the WiFi. Many use their XR routers this way connected to the R2 so if say you had an XR500 that would be put into AP mode thus offering you wave 2 performance.