Setting up Netduma for the first time

OldSchool

Hello all, 

I’ve recently received and set up the new R2.  I was hoping to use it to get good ping  lobbies in call of duty warzone, and I have a few questions, was hoping for Fraser or Liams reply.

I setup my wifi speed in qos, based on the speedtest dumaos provides(which shows 650mbps). However, when using the regular Okla’s speedtest website, I am only getting 210 mbps (used to be 500 before installing the router).  So im not sure which speed is correct, and how I can increase it past 210.

I checked all the low ping servers on the ping heatmap for warzone and set up GeoFilter (for my ps4 console) with the polygon mode to each of those servers. However, I did not setup a vpn. I need to advice on whether or not I am able to take full advantage of the GeoFilter without the vpn or does vpn make it better/easier to get the low ping lobbies?

Are there certain steps I need to be taking when starting up the game with filtering on? As in, should I be turning on filtering, then turning on console/starting game? 

Last one - I assume I have to be host each time in warzone, for geofilter to work. I heard that filtering mode may prevent my friends from joining my lobby. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/reply!

I'll chip in until @Netduma Fraser or @Netduma Liam gets to you;

I guess your using connection benchmark for your speed test with router, if so ignore that there is known issues, I would do a speediest via chrome or something and manually put those speeds into your QoS

I wouldn't recommend using a VPN, especially if gaming on fast paced shooters like COD, it will cause lag and/or packet loss, even the so called Fast gaming isn't recommended, see battlenonsense on youtube

As long as you add your device into the geofilter and switch it to filtering before you game then all will be good, then if you want when done gaming switch it off again, I find for me (PC) steam has issues logging in when filtering on.

For friends the way I do it is I open my filter up by expanding the circle or polygon area and get friends to join, I then add them to my allow/deny list so they are whitelisted and allowed to join me when I have my circle/polygon back to its normal size, bit of a flaff but should only need done once.

Hope that helps until the main guys see your post, oh and if you want them to see it quicker just do an@ then start typing netduma and their names will list for you to tag them

Happy gaming

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What are the speeds you pay for/expect from the ISP - 500? The router speedtest/CB may well not be showing you the correct speed, we're looking to improve that. What speeds are you getting from a wired device? We are working on improving WiFi, put the router antennae like this _ | | _ and change the 5GHz width to 80 and that may improve it. 

You do not need a VPN to force the lowest ping servers, just the Geo-Filter! Using a VPN would actually raise the ping so better to not use it in my opinion. I would recommend you setup the Geo-Filter how you want and then boot up the console/game and it should filter correctly. 

Yes you would need to be the host of the lobby if you want your friends to get the same servers you're forcing. Good advice above on how to add your friends so the filter doesn't block them.

1 hour ago, Guilders said:

I'll chip in until @Netduma Fraser or @Netduma Liam gets to you;

I guess your using connection benchmark for your speed test with router, if so ignore that there is known issues, I would do a speediest via chrome or something and manually put those speeds into your QoS

I wouldn't recommend using a VPN, especially if gaming on fast paced shooters like COD, it will cause lag and/or packet loss, even the so called Fast gaming isn't recommended, see battlenonsense on youtube

As long as you add your device into the geofilter and switch it to filtering before you game then all will be good, then if you want when done gaming switch it off again, I find for me (PC) steam has issues logging in when filtering on.

For friends the way I do it is I open my filter up by expanding the circle or polygon area and get friends to join, I then add them to my allow/deny list so they are whitelisted and allowed to join me when I have my circle/polygon back to its normal size, bit of a flaff but should only need done once.

Hope that helps until the main guys see your post, oh and if you want them to see it quicker just do an@ then start typing netduma and their names will list for you to tag them

Happy gaming

Notes about the vpn and friend situation, thanks a ton!!

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What are the speeds you pay for/expect from the ISP - 500? The router speedtest/CB may well not be showing you the correct speed, we're looking to improve that. What speeds are you getting from a wired device? We are working on improving WiFi, put the router antennae like this _ | | _ and change the 5GHz width to 80 and that may improve it. 

You do not need a VPN to force the lowest ping servers, just the Geo-Filter! Using a VPN would actually raise the ping so better to not use it in my opinion. I would recommend you setup the Geo-Filter how you want and then boot up the console/game and it should filter correctly. 

Yes you would need to be the host of the lobby if you want your friends to get the same servers you're forcing. Good advice above on how to add your friends so the filter doesn't block them.

@Netduma Fraser Oh I see about the router speed test. I will have to check the speed on the wired playstation, but on the wireless laptop that I am using to configure DumaOS, speedtest.net is giving me 210~ mbps download. 

From my ISP provider I am expecting 500mbps downlod and 500mbps upload speeds. I was actually getting this speed on speedtest.net with the router provided by my ISP, prior to switching to the R2.

I contacted then earlier, and they did mention something about the new router(netduma) may need to be in bridge mode otherwise it may slow down the network. I was not able to find setting to configure bridge mode, perhaps you can help me with that?

currently I do have the antennae in a vertical position, but I will check the 5ghz width you mentioned.

• Administrators

Consoles don't always give an accurate result on speed tests so would be better from a wired PC. The WiFi does need some work so it is unlikely you'll get that high at the moment. You don't need bridge mode on the R2 but you can put their modem/router in bridge mode which may help.

@Netduma Fraser

Hey Fraser,

so I’ve been trying to get my friend to join me. I set geofilter to a large circle around my area (like 3000km), and trying to get my friend to join so I can allow his connection, before switching to polygon mode.

he received an error, where the response does not succeed when he tries to join. 

on my end, I am not seeing any connections pop up in the “allow/deny” section.

**Update:

so some other players were able to join me, but they are on ps4 consoles as well. My friend is on pc. Is this something to do with pc? 

any advice?

• Administrators

It might be to do with the cross compatibility yes, we need to do more testing in that area. I'd suggest for the moment, toggling Filtering Mode off, invite him to join then enable filtering mode and wait 2 minutes before searching, you'll be able to connect to him and then filter the game as well

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It might be to do with the cross compatibility yes, we need to do more testing in that area. I'd suggest for the moment, toggling Filtering Mode off, invite him to join then enable filtering mode and wait 2 minutes before searching, you'll be able to connect to him and then filter the game as well

I see. So when I click to turn filtering off, imthe big radius filter stays, as if it doesnt turn off. Im wondering if I’m doing it right?

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, OldSchool said:

I see. So when I click to turn filtering off, imthe big radius filter stays, as if it doesnt turn off. Im wondering if I’m doing it right?

Yes that's right, the radius will always stay there, just with Filtering Mode off it won't be blocking anything so once they've joined you re-enable Filtering Mode, wait 2 minutes and then search