Just purchased R2 but very concerned after reviewing the forums

bigd3862

I made a purchase of the R2 today, after reviewing online recommendations. However, had I seen these forums prior to purchase, I would have held off on the purchase. The 2 things that I am getting from this forum are; 1) that it creates and unstable internet connection and it may or may not do as advertised. I am currently using a NIghhawk Netgear R7000 rounter and I typically get ping times  for warzone from 25ms to 40ms. Can the Netduma out perform these speeds on a regular basis without disconnecting? I really would like this to work.

Welcome to the forum!

I would advise that you are not put off by what you read on this forum, this is a support forum where users can speak with admins and the community about any errors they may be experiencing with their DumaOS router, as such you would expect to see a lot of problems reported here. When you compare the amount of users using DumaOS to the amount of users experiencing an issue with it, it is well within the average for a consumer product.

Geo-filter would allow you to ensure that you are consistently connecting to those low-latency servers. It's not really possible to improve your latency to a server, as this is just a product of the distance between you and the server. You can however ensure that you're always connecting to those low-latency servers and never putting up with the poor connection of a distant server.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

I would advise that you are not put off by what you read on this forum, this is a support forum where users can speak with admins and the community about any errors they may be experiencing with their DumaOS router, as such you would expect to see a lot of problems reported here. When you compare the amount of users using DumaOS to the amount of users experiencing an issue with it, it is well within the average for a consumer product.

Geo-filter would allow you to ensure that you are consistently connecting to those low-latency servers. It's not really possible to improve your latency to a server, as this is just a product of the distance between you and the server. You can however ensure that you're always connecting to those low-latency servers and never putting up with the poor connection of a distant server.

Sorry for the off-topic question but I got my R2 last week, mainly for Warzone. When I play by myself I can get the ping to stay below 40 (as I’ve specified it to do so) but as soon as I create a party and invite friends (also in the UK) the ping is anywhere from 50-90. If I’m the party host should it not be searching for the lobby from my connection? Is there anyway to force this or would my party members also need an R2 for this to work? Cheers

3 hours ago, Vxtyrant said:

Sorry for the off-topic question but I got my R2 last week, mainly for Warzone. When I play by myself I can get the ping to stay below 40 (as I’ve specified it to do so) but as soon as I create a party and invite friends (also in the UK) the ping is anywhere from 50-90. If I’m the party host should it not be searching for the lobby from my connection? Is there anyway to force this or would my party members also need an R2 for this to work? Cheers

Hey! So yeah I would expect that as long as you are hosting, there shouldn't be any difference between the lobbies you get on your own or with friends. Unless perhaps you are put on different servers based on the fact that you're a squad? How many friends are you playing with? Have you tried experimenting with only 1 other friend vs. with 3 or 4 others?

On 3/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Hey! So yeah I would expect that as long as you are hosting, there shouldn't be any difference between the lobbies you get on your own or with friends. Unless perhaps you are put on different servers based on the fact that you're a squad? How many friends are you playing with? Have you tried experimenting with only 1 other friend vs. with 3 or 4 others?

Usually just the 1 who lives about 20 mile from me so pretty local. Sometimes 3/4 but again, they’re all pretty locale to me.

Strange. I’ll keep testing it out as I’ve only just got the router so may need to tweak something. Also had issues as couldn’t put my sky modem/router into bridge mode as they don’t have that option so had to set the default DMZ to the WAN IP on the R2 as a work around as I was getting double NAT issues. Not sure if that’s causing any issues?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The DMZ method is fine, that's what I use personally. Are you viewing the ping on the Geo-Filter or in game?

In game. Don’t think we’re on until later this week so will monitor on the software next time. 

Currently having issues with the WiFi signal just disappearing. Restarted it a few times and it’s fine for a few mins before cutting out again. 

• Administrators

Check what you get on the Geo-Filter for ping as well, the in game ping includes things like processing delay and depending on how high the discrepancy is between the Geo-Filter ping (direct to server) and the in game ping then it could indicate the server is under load and would be worth forcing another. For WiFi try this:

Disable WiFi completely, save, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes then, enable WiFi, save, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes before connecting.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Check what you get on the Geo-Filter for ping as well, the in game ping includes things like processing delay and depending on how high the discrepancy is between the Geo-Filter ping (direct to server) and the in game ping then it could indicate the server is under load and would be worth forcing another. For WiFi try this:

Disable WiFi completely, save, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes then, enable WiFi, save, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes before connecting.

Hey. I’ve tried your solution tonight but it has happened twice since where it cuts me off the internet completely and requires a restart of the R2. All green lights on the sky hub (apart from WiFi as we disabled that to avoid the double NAT). 

I’ve ordered a HG612 modem in the hope I can replace the sky hub, as I suspect that may be causing issues, but if that doesn’t fix it then I don’t think I can run the R2 any longer as it’s simply not feasible to keep losing connection repeatedly on a daily basis, especially in the current climate when my wife and I both work from home.  

• Administrators

Did you disable the WiFi while connected to the WiFi?

Okay lets see how you get on with that, I think giving the R2 a static/reserved IP on the hub would actually help so I'd suggest trying that in the meantime.