3. 0 120 firmware instability issues on XR500

I'm at my wits end and about to return this router to Best Buy and get something else.  I've had nothing but instability issues especially recently where the internet will just go down.  Just now, i've it had the internet go out, then comeback up 3 times in the last 30 minutes.  I finally just rebooted the router to see if that helps.

I do have logs but i don't have time to go through them to remove anything that i don't want in there.  @Netduma Fraser since you are in here a lot can i send to you?  I can't have this instability. 

Hey turbosi92.. After you installed the beta firmware 102 did you factory reset after? It is key to factory reset after a firmware.. specially a beta firmware.. A reboot wont likely work.. A full factory reset is needed.. Just not sure if you did that or not!

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Administrators

You can factory reset from the interface, if you use the button on the back make sure you hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release, wait 2 minutes then access it and run through the setup wizard.

Overnight, the router AGAIN just reset itself.  I had no internet when i woke up and when i logged into the router, it was like i just took it out of the box.  Why is this happening?  

I went through the setup, did a reset in gui, then went through setup again, then loaded my config and it went through a reset again.  I was finally able to get the config to load and stay after a 3rd time.  What gives?

• Administrators

The fact that it reset itself sounds like a power issue, how do you have it connected to power direct to a wall outlet or an extender? I'd recommend using a wall outlet if possible and also try with another power adapter of similar voltage to rule out a faulty adapter.

I don't have another power adapter.  I'll try the wall as a test i guess.  I highly doubt thats the issue but a bad power adapter is a possibility.  I just don't have anyway to test it as i don't have another one.  Any idea if its center positive or negative?

The router, modem and PC are connected to a UPS.  As I said earlier, i have a power monitor system...no outage detected.

So the router lost internet again just now...i grabbed the log at the time it happened.  Anything in here that is of interest?  What the heck is the bolded item?

[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:41
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:39
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:37
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:16
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:14
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:35:00
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:58
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:46
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:42
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:29
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:26[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:25
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:22
[DumaOS] DHCP new lease allocated., Saturday, March 27, 2021 13:34:21

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay let us know, I've no Idea on that regard unfortunately. The only thing would be the DHCP lease - is it possible for you to give the XR a static IP on the modem?

It is not possible with our ISP.

This looks like the same issues reported earlier by others?  I thought this was fixed?

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should have been yes, it has fixed it for some but not others and NG are still investigating. Are you using the Traffic Meter in Settings by any chance?

no traffic meter for me.  COmpletely blanks.

Anything else to try?

It literally just kept losing internet in the last 15 minutes so i rebooted it.  

• Administrators

Does the XR have a WAN IP in System Information when the disconnect occurs? If it doesn't then unfortunately has to be fixed by the team and so would suggest having a router or managed switch upstream. If it does then setting reserved IPs in LAN Settings for devices could help

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does the XR have a WAN IP in System Information when the disconnect occurs? If it doesn't then unfortunately has to be fixed by the team and so would suggest having a router or managed switch upstream. If it does then setting reserved IPs in LAN Settings for devices could help

I'd have to look when it does it again.  Assume you mean on the dashboard "Internet Status" wan ip?

All of my major devices (PCs, MAC, xboxes, etc are hardwired and have Static internal IPs already.  

• Administrators

You can look at it there as well yes, that panel is pinned from the System Information page. 

It's likely that there isn't anything else we can change and putting a router or managed switch in front would help as I suspect its the lease renewing causing it. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to or is it direct to the wall?

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can look at it there as well yes, that panel is pinned from the System Information page. 

It's likely that there isn't anything else we can change and putting a router or managed switch in front would help as I suspect its the lease renewing causing it. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to or is it direct to the wall?

Its just a modem.

I'm on fiber and i had to look it up.

https://adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/product/1287835F1/4467

We only have internet through this...no phone.

• Administrators

Thanks for that, I don't think there is anything else I can suggest unfortunately other than the above. NG is going over new info from users to work on a fix, you can provide some debug logs if you would like to help.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, I don't think there is anything else I can suggest unfortunately other than the above. NG is going over new info from users to work on a fix, you can provide some debug logs if you would like to help.

Just tell me how to go about doing this.  I want to get this fixed.  :)

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, turbosi92 said:

Just tell me how to go about doing this.  I want to get this fixed.  :)

Great thanks!

Make sure you've reproduced the issue.

Open the web browser via a PC, go to http://routerlogin.com/debug.htm

Click “Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture”

Click “Start capture”, and wait for 30 seconds.

Click “Save Debug log”.

Once you have them, private message Tim Chang on the Netgear forum with a link/upload of the logs please.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/553775

well, it just happened...i have multiple logs.  I guess i'll message him but at this point, i'm giving up and returning it to best buy.  Luckily i bought the warranty so i can return it.  I can't believe this major of an issue isn't fixed yet.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, turbosi92 said:

well, it just happened...i have multiple logs.  I guess i'll message him but at this point, i'm giving up and returning it to best buy.  Luckily i bought the warranty so i can return it.  I can't believe this major of an issue isn't fixed yet.

Sorry to hear that but thanks for sending the logs over to Tim. Not everyone has the issue and they haven't been able to reproduce it themselves so they're relying on logs from users which slows down the process.

So the router did it again, i had to force turn power off as i couldn't connect to gui.  Turn it back on and it reset itself.  What in the absolute F***  

Edit: Stuck in a look to setup a new router.  I've given up.  Put my old router back in and returning it asap.  I can't have the instability.

• Administrators

May be best to go ahead and return it if your warranty is running out and re-purchase if you like in the future once the issue is resolved, should be the next update if NG can figure out why it is still occurring.