Netduma Dropping Connection

Trev

Hi, I just received my Netduma R2 3 days ago. I lose internet connection to all devices including ethernet connected devices around twice a day. The connection never resolves itself and is only fixed when I unplug and then plug the R2 back in. I'm kinda a networking noob and figured that the Netduma R2 would be a plug and play router. I am looking for guidance to resolving this issue.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is your exact physical setup - i.e. what is the model of your modem/router? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

Can you still access the interface when you get the disconnect? If so in the System Information page when it has happened does the router still have a WAN IP?

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is your exact physical setup - i.e. what is the model of your modem/router? Are ALL devices connected to the R2?

Can you still access the interface when you get the disconnect? If so in the System Information page when it has happened does the router still have a WAN IP?

I lose access to the interface when I get disconnected. The devices connected to wireless still show they are connected, but have no internet. Please find an image of my network topology below.

topology.thumb.png.0d89f38283516f409ac6c040ca331e6a.png

As for physical devices, I have an Arris CM820 modem provided by my ISP. My ethernet connected devices have a switch in between them and the router. 

Please let me know if you need anymore information!

• Administrators

Thank you for the information. Is it a managed switch or a dumb switch?

In DHCP Settings on the R2 change the DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply. Also give some reserved IPs to some of the more used devices.

For WiFi have you changed any settings there? Have you disabled Mirror mode so you can connect to 2.4 or 5GHz manually?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for the information. Is it a managed switch or a dumb switch?

In DHCP Settings on the R2 change the DHCP lease hours to 168 and apply. Also give some reserved IPs to some of the more used devices.

For WiFi have you changed any settings there? Have you disabled Mirror mode so you can connect to 2.4 or 5GHz manually?

The switch is unmanaged. I saw the recommendation to change the DHCP lease to 168 and did that after the second day (it went out again today).

The router is positioned in a place where 5GHz would not be able to be optimized. I have disabled Mirror mode and only have 2.4GHz enabled.

• Administrators

Do you have any wireless e.g. headphones, tv remotes etc or any electrical devices within 3-6 feet of the router at all?

Also for the antennae set them like this _ | | _ for maximum range/stability.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have any wireless e.g. headphones, tv remotes etc or any electrical devices within 3-6 feet of the router at all?

Also for the antennae set them like this _ | | _ for maximum range/stability.

Nope, no wireless devices anywhere near it. I don't believe this issue is stability. What could be the reason the internet goes out entirely? Including my wired devices.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're looking at that issue generally, do you have another router you could put between the modem and the R2? People with a similar issue have seen success doing that while we look into it.

I will try putting the old router in between. I have also noticed that the outages seem to have a trend. I've noticed that its gone down at 6pm EST consistently since I've got it (just went out around 15 minutes ago at 6pm).

On 3/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It's probably your public IP renewing, in which case the router in between should help with that, let us know how you get on!

Ever since I added the other router as an intermediary device I have yet to drop connection. Is there going to be a firmware upgrade or something to fix this going forward?

14 hours ago, Trev said:

Ever since I added the other router as an intermediary device I have yet to drop connection. Is there going to be a firmware upgrade or something to fix this going forward?

OK thank you for confirming this, I'll relay this information to the team so they can use it in their investigation of this problem.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Trev said:

Is there any update on this issue? I would love to retire my old router.

We're currently collecting some really useful information from a couple of users who are experiencing this issue, but unfortunately don't have an ETA as to when we might be able to release a fix for it.