How it Works?

Hey all,

please explain to me exactly how the CC sliders affect gameplay....... I’ve read all the tutorials and such but am still a little confused..... for example, when I set the sliders to 70%, does that give my other devices 70 and console 30, or the other way around? Also, as far as the flower, should I give more priority to my console or to other devices? 

Thanks!

• Administrators

Neither - Congestion Control eliminates local congestion. Local congestion causes lag when your connection is saturated i.e. all your bandwidth has been used up. By utilizing CC this creates a reserve so that your full bandwidth can never be entirely used and therefore local congestion is eliminated. I'd recommend having a look at the ? icon for CC and it will explain it a bit more.

I usually recommend leaving Bandwidth Allocation at the default - unless you specifically need to give devices a certain amount of bandwidth.

35 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Neither - Congestion Control eliminates local congestion. Local congestion causes lag when your connection is saturated i.e. all your bandwidth has been used up. By utilizing CC this creates a reserve so that your full bandwidth can never be entirely used and therefore local congestion is eliminated. I'd recommend having a look at the ? icon for CC and it will explain it a bit more.

I usually recommend leaving Bandwidth Allocation at the default - unless you specifically need to give devices a certain amount of bandwidth.

Thanks for the response. So, what you’re saying is...... let’s say I set my sliders to 70, this creates a reserve...... is this reserving 30% for my console? I’m asking for a more detailed explanation of how this works. I’ve read all the basics but I’m looking for more in depth details of that makes sense? 

It may be just me but I feel like I’m still missing the full picture on how this works. 

Thanks for your time. 

• Administrators

It doesn't reserve it for any particular device, it just prevents that percentage of your bandwidth from being used. By preventing your entire connection being used that prevents long network queues forming which results in higher ping. 

Here is a video we created back in the day that will explain it more