Very slow Speeds with XR700

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be straight forward reading the guide, the tricky thing might be the timing so you might have to try it a few times. No it's very unlikely to get bricked

So that's the firmware uploaded via tftp. 

One thing that has happened pretty much within minutes since it was uploaded was the connection completely dropped, looked at logs and it said;

Internet Disconnected Monday. March 08. 2021 15:47: 42

QoS application exception: error: exec 'tc disc add dev ppp0 root handle 2: prio band, Monday, March 08, 2021 15:48:26

followed by

Internet connected IP address *********** Monday, March 08, 2021 15:48:41

Will keep a close eye on things over the next week and see if the connection keeps dropping or if I get the speed issues again.

And internet drop again;

[Internet connected] IP address: ************, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:30:04
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ee:c9:25:10:61:f9, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:29:53
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.12, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:29:38
[Internet disconnected] Monday, March 08, 2021 17:28:57

Hope it isn't going to do this every couple of hours!!!

Edit; Looked up MAC in device manager and no device I have on my network has that mac address!!

Edited by Guilders

and again @Netduma Fraser

[LAN access from remote] from 192.35.168.109:34184 to 192.168.1.12:1311, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:45:38
[Internet connected] IP address: *********, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:45:38
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address ee:c9:25:10:61:f9, Monday, March 08, 2021 17:45:11
[Internet disconnected] Monday, March 08, 2021 17:44:35

same mac address which I have no clue what it is!!!!

So it seems every 20-30 mins it does a random disconnect from the internet, and every time its saying what I've posted above with that MAC.

I've decided to offload the Dumaos 3.0 and go back to its original firmware to see what happens.

It is getting tiresome though, seems every other day there is something which then has to be rebooted, re-installed or multiple combinations of different modems/router combinations to try figure out how to get a good connection, like I had when I first upgraded from xr500 to xr700, don't know what's changed recently to cause this as I only use it for QoS and the polygon geo, everything else is basically as is

now I'm back to original firmware so sadly only one location for geo!! Oh well

• Administrators

I couldn't find anything on that MAC address either unfortunately. There really isn't anything in those logs that indicate the issue either. Just one thing I thought of, in System Information does it show you the correct timezone? Let us know how you get on with that version

Sorry for late reply, @Netduma Fraser strange one that mac address then!!

Yes the timezone is correct in system information, GMT.

I've re-installed 3.0 as wanted to test speed again, with your normal firmware I get almost my full speeds (72d/l 18u/l) so I get 23ping, 70 d/l and 16 u/l

When I have 3.0 installed I get 34ping and between 32-64 d/l and 16 u/l ( no QoS in operation and share excess enabled)

Oh and only me using the internet for the tests.

I may be cynical here but are these issues on the forum mainly on netgear devices or does it also happen on the R2

• Administrators

I can't see how it would bring it down at all, as far as I am aware we haven't done anything in that area. Could you set your bandwidth to 100/100 and then test, then do another 500/500, test then 1000/1000 and see if that gets you more speeds please?

Speeds are one of the most 'popular' support requests but there is not always a router issue there and I don't see a correlation between the routers on this one specifically.

Hey @Netduma FraserI currently have it set up via dmz through BT HH, I will do as you ask on Sunday or Monday, as was planning on doing some more testing then anyway.

Speeds with home hub is 24ping 72 d/l 18.8 u/l 

Speeds via XR700 27ping 10 d/l 18.6 u/l

xr700 is basically set up as an access point with those tests, and hence no QoS, and everything is basically on par. Just FYI the only thing connected to the XR700 is m y gaming PC, everything else is connected to BT HH.

Like I say I'm planning on doing some more testing, for example XR700 in router mode via dmz (access point obviously gives no access to router full capabilities) and see how speeds stack up....will probs do that one tomorrow, so will post results here again. 

I do think the main issues with this router is the QoS and the Allow Deny as still getting put into servers that have been denied, but the allow deny os not what this topic is about.

When house is quieter I will reconnect open reach modem and do the testing you ask above and let you know 

• Administrators

That's interesting, if it is in AP mode then DumaOS isn't really running at all. If you have devices connected upstream that will pull bandwidth away from the router and devices connected downstream but I understand why you're doing that. Let me know how you get on with the tests and we can run through the other stuff once this is resolved