Help on how to setup my R2

Jay01

Hello, im due to recieve my netduma R2 , iv been trying to look up online what the best method would be for me, currently i have my BT Hub 2 downstairs and have my gaming setup upstairs however i do have a powerline wifi booster currently connected to my ps4 upstairs, im just wondering what would the best setup i should go with for performance from the router? Can i just use the netduma as a primary modem instead of my BT Hub 2 and then use my powerline adapter to connect via ethernet to my ps4 or should i use the netduma as a secondary router? Thanks for your help

The home hub 2 is a combo so it includes your modem so you will have to run the R2 in DMZ. You will need to turn off it’s WiFi too if you want the r2 to handle all the connections.

however there’s a little issue as you can’t full disable it’s WiFi if BT Fon is active so if anyone joins the free WiFi it will throw your CC out of the window.

You have to either opt out of BT fon if it’s active or you remove BTs router and purchase a modem like a HG612. Pays to match the cabinet to the modem but the chances are the HG612 will be fine. You would then connect the R2 to the HG612 and you simply setup using your PPPoE credentials. This will fully remove the free BT WiFi but you still get to use it when out and about if that’s something you prefer. 

If however you are on Gfast as the homehub 2 handles that too you will not be able to use the HG612 and for that connection the new Vigor 166 is a modem option.